Raptor vs. Turbo Dream - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersl View Post
If you havent ridden it then I dont think this can be considered an accurate statement. Just as I havent ridden either of the dreams, I wouldnt say the raptor is or isnt any better than either. Would be ideal for the OP to ride all 3 to get a feel for what he prefers. I have no regrets with the Raptor and actually handles the rough stuff very well. Hell I live in SoCal. Lots of chop to power through.
Well, I haven't been on a Never Summer yet that I felt like rode as well as the price suggested.

Evo $500, Era $390. Proto $550, Rush $500. SL $510, Nitro Team Gullwing $480... I could go on but yeah. If it's what you want that's fine, they do ride well. But they are overpriced. I don't really think that's up for debate.

And I rode SoCal for a year, they don't really get enough snow to get gnar chop.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Well, I haven't been on a Never Summer yet that I felt like rode as well as the price suggested.

Evo $500, Era $390. Proto $550, Rush $500. SL $510, Nitro Team Gullwing $480... I could go on but yeah. If it's what you want that's fine, they do ride well. But they are overpriced. I don't really think that's up for debate.

And I rode SoCal for a year, they don't really get enough snow to get gnar chop.
Just looked at K2's site and the only board comparable to the Raptor is the Peace Maker and it costs slightly MORE than the NS...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:

I can see your complaint with the price difference in the Evo. But 30 to 50 bucks difference in the other boards? Not enough to consider NS "overpriced." And yes...we get plenty of chop. Sure only a few powder days per year, leaving every other day of the year either well groomed, icy as hell, or slushy think mashed potatoes. And I usually venture out of SoCal once or twice a season.

Again...until you've ridden one......
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Just looked at K2's site and the only board comparable to the Raptor is the Peace Maker and it costs slightly MORE than the NS...
But NS is just overpriced junk...How can anyone be more expensive?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
What do you think of the new "lifted" profile on the 2014 slayblade?
Be careful. Around here it would be considered overpriced! $574
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
But NS is just overpriced junk...How can anyone be more expensive?
AGREED
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
You think the Raptor only compares to the one size only pow board that replaced the Gyrator? You came to this conclusion how?

The Raptor comparison is the Slayblade, which retails less than the Raptor. Hard charging power freeirde board. Not floaty powder board.

Also you're mistaking my other comment saying K2 alone makes a board better than every NS for cheaper. In fact they dont. They dont really make anything comparable to the Summit. Closest thing is that Peace Keeper. But I guess I should be more specific as they do make great all mountain decks and the price point for those isnt terribly different. Same thing for my issues with Mervin. Once you get up to the hard charging decks they arent priced that ridiculously compared the norm. But for both brands their Park and general all mountain decks are overpriced. And those are the decks they sell the most.

Also, buy my things?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Be careful. Around here it would be considered overpriced! $574
Pretty close yeah, I think anything over $600 is unnecessary. One of the old T9 guys said it best, it's easy to design a great board that costs $600, but to build one that rides awesome for under $400, that's fucking hard. And in the last few years I've been haing way more fun on sub $400 decks than higher end ones. This is the first year I've chosen to ride something more expensive, the Rush.

One of the big things about those $50-$30 price differences is you'll typically get way more tech and a lighter board than it's Mervin/NS equivalent. Burton is often the same way, but they do also try to pack in features. With those brands you're buying a product, and then paying a little extra to have their logo/name on that product. It's a smart move by those brands, it creates a sense of elitism that you own/ride brand X and dirves hype and demand. However, that doesnt mean everyone buying them or working there has that attitude. Our Gnu rep is chill as a drunk bear in Nepal for example.

Also, buy my things?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
You think the Raptor only compares to the one size only pow board that replaced the Gyrator? You came to this conclusion how?

The Raptor comparison is the Slayblade, which retails less than the Raptor. Hard charging power freeirde board. Not floaty powder board.

Also you're mistaking my other comment saying K2 alone makes a board better than every NS for cheaper. In fact they dont. They dont really make anything comparable to the Summit. Closest thing is that Peace Keeper. But I guess I should be more specific as they do make great all mountain decks and the price point for those isnt terribly different. Same thing for my issues with Mervin. Once you get up to the hard charging decks they arent priced that ridiculously compared the norm. But for both brands their Park and general all mountain decks are overpriced. And those are the decks they sell the most.
You seriously work in a shop and you think the Slayblade is the equivalent of the Raptor? Directional hard charging twin with 3/4" setback... sounds like the Heritage is the better comparison... I do agree with the pricing on the lower end NS and Mervin though.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is the future of camber. It just makes more sense. Anyone that felt like the Blade wasn't lively enough, this should fix that. I am actually expecting to get a Happy Hour for next year, I think it will just make that board so much better.
Have you or anyone ridden it yet (it's cool if there is still an NDA).

I've been eyeing the Happy Hour for a couple years now, just never pulling the trigger. But this Lifted stuff looks crazy.

Plus the base on the HH is pretty fucking cool
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote