Raptor vs. Turbo Dream - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raptor vs. Turbo Dream

Getting a new board and have narrowed it down to the Never Summer Raptor or the K2 Turbo Dream. I want something that I can take all over the mountain, but performance in the park is not a high priority for me. I am a solid intermediate rider. Does anyone have an recommendations?
NoSnowinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't help with those two boards, but it would probably help others if you mention the types of conditions you typically ride.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fair enough. I usually ride in pretty good conditions. Park City and Keystone are my usual haunts. I like the groomers and also like riding the pow. Ice isn't usually a big concern.
NoSnowinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Raptor will be way overkill for cruising groomers at Keystone and Park City. It is their baddest, hardest charging deck for crushing serious terrain. I'd lean more towards the SL, Cobra, or Heritage as those are more balanced, forgiving, and a little more tame.
TBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Turbo dream performed great when I rode mine out there.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Those boards are not in the same class. Better comparison would be TD vs. SL
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
The Raptor will be way overkill for cruising groomers at Keystone and Park City. It is their baddest, hardest charging deck for crushing serious terrain. I'd lean more towards the SL, Cobra, or Heritage as those are more balanced, forgiving, and a little more tame.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes the Raptor is a hard charger but it's edge hold on groomers is amazing. Really good if you want to startllaying down some deep carves. And speed... Sooo stable at speed. By 10am when it gets all chopped up it keeps going. Even the late afternoon crud is well absorbed keeping you stable on high speed groomed runs. then when your local spot gets a good dump it rides really well in the deep. I'd say it's worth a look. That said... I'venever ridden the TD .
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Those boards are not in the same class. Better comparison would be TD vs. SL
+1

I haven't ridden the TD but I've heard good things. The one concern I remember hearing from a rider was that it didn't have any traction tech (such as magne traction, NS vario grip, etc), but if you say your conditions are mostly good it shouldn't be too big a deal
alex12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Turbo hands down.

Harshmellow is gonna make it ride smoother, but since you're getting your dampening from that instead of just how the whole board is built it will also remain more lively. The hyper progressive sidecut blends an infinite number of sidecuts together, if you know your edges and can manipulate a board the grip and ability to push through chunder is great. And personally I prefer flat or camber between my feet, not rocker (with very limited exceptions).

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I demo'd the Turbo Dream two weeks ago, it was a really fun board to take most places on the mountain. It turns very very easily, and it's pretty stable for a flat board. I felt like it would be a really good board for a beginner or freestyle rider.

However, it didn't hold an edge on steeper, icy slopes at all. I felt like icy terrain was its biggest weakness. Compared to the cambered boards I demo'd (Custom X, Jones Flagship) I was much happier on one of those when conditions were steep and icy.

I think the Slayblade would be more comparable to a freeride board, but I didn't demo it. In the end I like my current hybrid rocker/camber board (2011 Flow Infinite) more than the Turbo Dream. I'm very interested in the Raptor and will probably get that one. My riding goals are more speed/freeride oriented.
tangsta is offline   Reply With Quote