Heliboarding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heliboarding

Anyone here been heliboarding in Alaska?? I am heading up there march 17th and wondering if I need a longer/stiffer board. I am an aggressive rider but here in colorado my shorter whip works out best for steeps, chutes, tight trees etc.
rider info
6'1" 175 lbs size 9 boot
Riding an average of 75 days per year last ten years
Currently on a never summer Titan 161 with about 95 days on it

Last edited by cbrider; 02-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
cbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No replies cause we all hate you, lol.

Dude, if you've riden 75 days a year for 10 years in Colorado, you already know how to handle yourself in whatever terrain. With 95 days on a board and no desire to change, you should be able to ride that thing anywhere through anything. Also im pretty sure the Titan is a SUPER stiff board and a 161 for your weight should be just fine. That being said if you have the cheddar to go to AK for a heli trip, whats another 4-7 hundo?

Buy a pow specific board like the Cheetah (i demo'd one, it was sick fun) or Burner for some cambered pow-pop, Ultra Dream or Flagship/PYL for some easy-floating charging. If you broke the bank, get a Hovercraft, Charlie Slasher for economical pow specific boards and take your Titan along.

I'm not mad...just jealous.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Also, we are all in agreement that question was just a way to brag about a heli trip to AK, right?
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

if you can get your hands on one, take a fish or swallow board, you'll love it.

also, you've averaged 75 days a year for 10 years? seems quite unrealistic you're asking these questions if that is true.. but whatever, enjoy yourself.

Last edited by huckfin; 02-11-2013 at 12:46 PM.
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Also, we are all in agreement that question was just a way to brag about a heli trip to AK, right?
100%!!! <- to the OP...

Also, can't you rent boards in Alaska? If you want a big mountain gun just rent one there for the time.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfin View Post
if you can get your hands on one, take a fish or swallow board, you'll love it.

also, you've averaged 75 days a year for 10 years? seems quite unrealistic you're asking these questions if that is true.. but whatever, enjoy yourself.
Well thanks for the advice everyone. I was hoping to hear back from someone who has riden up there and can speak from experience. So I called the guide company and asked them. They suggested I get something in the 165-168 cm range. I figured my board would be just fine. So now what to choose??
cbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrider View Post
Well thanks for the advice everyone. I was hoping to hear back from someone who has riden up there and can speak from experience. So I called the guide company and asked them. They suggested I get something in the 165-168 cm range. I figured my board would be just fine. So now what to choose??

FWIW your everyday board will be just fine, i go to a bc cat operation where i'm generally riding 3-4 ft of fresh on 35-45 degree gladed terain, i usually take 3 boards of varying lengths with me, and they have a entire equipment room full of boards to borrow as well.. to date the board i've ridden 90% of the time was my 160 everyday pow board... and last year i don't think anyone in my group of 10 was on a board longer than a 164. my advice is to take/ride a board that you know and ride well. don't experiment unless you know what you're climbing aboard... you don't want to waste all that dreamy pow on a board you are not familiar with.

IMO the guys at the heli operation are giving you advice to ride a long board because they are confused as to why you are asking, as they likely figure that you are not very experienced because of the question. they will never tell someone to ride a short board at a cat/heli operation, but in all reality you are the one that knows best.. again, if you really do ride 75+ days every year you could take a 156 flat camber board with 2" setback and slay any amount of pow you find yourself in; unless you are a powder noob; if that is so, you'll have issues on any board... lol most of all, try to enjoy.
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Waiting to hear how it was. Thinking about going to doing a heli-day at Whistler next season.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Thats the aim of my boarding life... very jealous - in a positive way!
have fun and share pics!
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

might want to bring something else as a back up
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote