Pvc - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
hipbone

Default Pvc

I am building a couple boxes for the backyard this year and was wondering if anyone knew if PVC sheeting would be okay for the top sheet? I ask because I called a local building supply store and he said it would be suitable. I would be able to pick up a sheet of .750 x 48x120 for $153. It would be delivered to my door cut to the sizes I need + the left overs.

I originally was looking for HDPE, but cant find any locally and was going to buy it online from here, I would have been getting 1 sheet of .250 x 18x94 and 1 sheet of .250 x 8x70 for about $88 + shipping cost. Assuming shipping will be at least $40, but have yet receive conformation from them about the cost.

With the PVC i would be getting more than double the product (not even considering the thickness) for maybe 15-20% more total cost. I have looked on the net for a little more information about the sheeting, but am unsure if it have a comparable frictional coefficient to HDPE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rhett056

If the building supply store is near by and you have access to a truck just pick it up yourself. They usually charge between $25-$75 for delivery charges. But then you would also have to cut it which is simple.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
hipbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett056 View Post
If the building supply store is near by and you have access to a truck just pick it up yourself. They usually charge between $25-$75 for delivery charges. But then you would also have to cut it which is simple.
Its free delivery and cuts. They guy is doing me a favour because I really don't need that much material. It is his way of helping cut back costs a little to make up for not selling the product in smaller sheets. My other option is to keep going there Friday afternoons to see what scraps they have [at a reduced 1'x1' rate] and piece a bunch together.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lexan & Plexiglas are other names to ask for. Clear is better as it doesn't warp. Black sucks
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
hipbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Blend View Post
Lexan & Plexiglas are other names to ask for. Clear is better as it doesn't warp. Black sucks
Lexan (as well as Plexiglass) is more than double the price of HDPE. Is Plexiglass usable? I thought I read that it will crack in cold because of the impacts. If it is usable that's great because I have a .250 x 48x96 inch sheet in my backyard right now.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
NzGnu

go to the tip and pick up some old fridges and your sorted.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
Is Plexiglass usable? I thought I read that it will crack in cold because of the impacts.
We've used it and it only cracks from the drill holes. (liquid nails would be the answer) I've seen them before but could not find them online: nylon deck screws ???

I'd love to see the local mountains make something similar to this (10g's) using 3/4 plexi:

You could make a warming hut...
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
hipbone

Quote:
We've used it and it only cracks from the drill holes. (liquid nails would be the answer) I've seen them before but could not find them online: nylon deck screws ???

I'd love to see the local mountains make something similar to this (10g's) using 3/4 plexi:

You could make a warming hut...
Will the 1/4 plexi I have be strong enough? or do I need to invest in 3/4 (if i go with plexi)? It will have a backing of 1/2 plywood + the skeleton made of 2x4s every 16''.

That looks pretty kick ass. I wonder what the show from down below would look like when a guy eats it.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
Will the 1/4 plexi I have be strong enough?.
with backing yes. At first the lexan or plexi is much faster than HDPE. Till it gets all mared up.

I want to say that we used 3/8th lexan on this wallride.

Look how great the clear is for advertising. And without absorbing the sun it warps less.

Last edited by Suburban Blend; 08-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Suburban Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
hipbone

Quote:
with backing yes. At first the lexan or plexi is much faster than HDPE. Till it gets all mared up.

I want to say that we used 3/8th lexan on this wallride.

Look how great the clear is for advertising. And without absorbing the sun it warps less.
Not sure how much i can get for the advertising space seeing as it will be in the backyard, but it will let me get creative.

So do you have any thoughts on the PVC? I may pick up some to use for some smaller features if its suitable.

And thanks for all the help for Suburban, much appreciated.