women's board for cautious intermediate rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default women's board for cautious intermediate rider

Hi there,

I demo'd a Burton Lipstick board this weekend and loved it. I tried the 141 and 145, but the 141 suited me better, even though it's a little too small for my 5'5" 124lb self. That may partially be setup. The 145's stance was about the same width as my old 143 Roxy, and due to a hip problem, I can't stand that wide anymore without discomfort.

While I loved the Lipstick, the price was a little high, especially since I'd need to get EST bindings. Also, some reviews say the Lipstick doesn't have the best edge hold. I board in Tahoe, so more often than not, it's hard pack. I don't need ice-grips, but I want to feel secure on hard pack.

I currently have Salomon Absolute bindings that are about four years old and in great shape because I only board 3-5 days a year. I also have Salomon Ivy Boa boots, size 7.5, that I picked up last year.

While I've been boarding for years, I don't go often, and I am very cautious (read: scaredy cat). I don't like to go fast. I am happy on greens with the occasional blue. I never go off the beaten path. I ride the hills in the baby park and aspire to one day actually jump a little. I consider myself intermediate in that I can link turns fine, but I sometimes struggle turning to toe smoothly with my Roxy. I'm looking for a board that turns easily, has decent grip, and will be stable at moderate speeds.

After a lot of reading and confusion, here's what I'm considering:
K2 Bright Lite/Lunatique 142 (weight range is surprisingly up to 160lbs)
GNU B-Nice (sounds pretty good overall, but I'd need a 145 and am concerned about maneuverability with a narrower stance)

Any thoughts or other suggestions? I'd like to stay under $400 MSRP. Thanks!

Last edited by leia1979; 02-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
leia1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leia1979 View Post
Hi there,

I demo'd a Burton Lipstick board this weekend and loved it. I tried the 141 and 145, but the 141 suited me better, even though it's a little too small for my 5'5" 124lb self. That may partially be setup. The 145's stance was about the same width as my old 143 Roxy, and due to a hip problem, I can't stand that wide anymore without discomfort.

While I loved the Lipstick, the price was a little high, especially since I'd need to get EST bindings. Also, some reviews say the Lipstick doesn't have the best edge hold. I board in Tahoe, so more often than not, it's hard pack. I don't need ice-grips, but I want to feel secure on hard pack.

I currently have Salomon Absolute bindings that are about four years old and in great shape because I only board 3-5 days a year. I also have Salomon Ivy Boa boots, size 7.5, that I picked up last year.

While I've been boarding for years, I don't go often, and I am very cautious (read: scaredy cat). I don't like to go fast. I am happy on greens with the occasional blue. I never go off the beaten path. I ride the hills in the baby park and aspire to one day actually jump a little. I consider myself intermediate in that I can link turns fine, but I sometimes struggle turning to toe smoothly with my Roxy. I'm looking for a board that turns easily, has decent grip, and will be stable at moderate speeds.

After a lot of reading and confusion, here's what I'm considering:
K2 Bright Lite/Lunatique 142 (weight range is surprisingly up to 160lbs)
GNU B-Nice (sounds pretty good overall, but I'd need a 145 and am concerned about maneuverability with a narrower stance)

Any thoughts or other suggestions? I'd like to stay under $400 MSRP. Thanks!
Ive considered a couple of different boards for my wife, who is in a similar situation with similar stats (assuming your username includes your birth year). I have it narrowed down to 3. She just needs to make up her mind...

1) Arbor Poparazzi 143
2) Never Summer Pandora 143
3) (if shes feeling a little more aggressive) Never Summer Infinity 145

The only one that will come under $400 new will be the Arbor. The infinity, which I think will allow you to possibly gain a bit more confidence with its stable ride comes in around $479. Not saying there arent better choices out there, but these are what Ive considered for my wife.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Pandora mentioned above is a bit above your price range but it's what I bought last year and I absolutely adore it. At the time I got it I was a bit more advanced than you, though not much. Mostly riding blues and tackling the occasional black, but only because that's what my friends were doing and I was terrified most of the time. I was able to competently link turns but was having trouble with my old board through turns and didn't feel confident with the edge hold on ice and hard pack (old board was a 2011 Ride Rapture).

After getting the Pandora the difference was huge. I ended the season doing mostly blacks and trees (something I would originally have told you I'd never do) and keeping up with my friends pretty well. I'm still not a speed demon but the board is so much smoother to ride and feels so much more secure on ice and hard pack and through turns that I can definitely handle way higher speeds than I was previously comfortable with.

I'm 5'6" and ~110-115lbs with a 7.5 foot, so pretty similar to you. I'm definitely not an aggressive rider and I don't build muscle easily so I wanted something that was soft and easy to handle. I debated between the 146 and 143 and ended up on the longer board because I didn't want lose too much float in powder. I've been happy with that choice but I think 143 would have worked fine as well.

There are probably some other good choices out there but the Pandora is definitely worth putting on your list. I will say that I tried out a few other boards belonging to my friends while I was picking out a new board (couldn't afford to demo) and it was clear to me that part of my issue with the Rapture was that I didn't like the way the rocker profile rode. If you can, it might be worth trying out a few boards with different profiles before you make a final choice (though obviously riding only a few times a year that may be hard).
ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got an Infinity a month or so ago. It's a great board....I've started to get used to it and am really liking it. But there was a bit of a learning curve on it for me. I choose it for really hard pack days and when im going to be hanging on steeper stuff (double blues, blacks). I still catch an edge now and again on cat tracks on it, which has always been my weakest area of riding. It is a solid board though.

I demo'd a K2 Eco Lite a week after I got the Infinity. I fell in love with it the first run, and decided right then I was buying one (even though I had just dropped $500+ on the Infinity). I think you would love it for the kind of riding you do. It is so stable and forgiving on flatter terrain (greens, cat tracks etc), super hard to catch an edge, and soooo easy to turn!
Bauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses! I took a trip to Any Mountain this evening, and I happened to find a 142 Lunatique marked down to $215. I had to give it a try. At 3 or so days of boarding a year, I just couldn't justify spending $400 right now.
leia1979 is offline   Reply With Quote