Recommendation for a great jump/all mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommendation for a great jump/all mountain board

Hi guys! I'd like to see if I can pick some of your brains apart for a recommendation on a great jumping/park/all mountain board. Please let me know which one I should go with, or if it will even matter if they're so close, performance wise.

My shortlist, in terms of current favorites, are:
1) Yes The Greats
2a) Forum Youngblood DoubleDog/Grandpops
2b) Forum Destroyer DoubleDog
3) Capita Defenders of Awesome
4) Never Summer Evo
5) Salomon Sabotage (If I can find it locally)

All 2013 models.

The Yes The Greats seems to have the best reviews out right now. Same goes for the Capita DOA. The Capita may be a bit too stiff for my liking though, since I'd like to be able to press the board with relative ease.

People online seem to love both Forum boards for the pop and jumping abilities, but I think someone on this forum said the Youngblood is stiffer than specified and can be a pain to press. Not much wrong to be found anywhere else though...

The Evo's the Evo, everyone seems to love it, so I included it as an option.

The Sabotage's a bit of an unknown, since I haven't really found much of anything on it.

About me:

I am a 25 yo male rider, weighing 156 lbs when hungry, with size 8 Burton Imperials. Budget is MAX $500. That means no T. Rice.

I ride 50% greens/blues ollieing all over the runs, 40% jumping of S kickers and pop off of XL knuckles, 10% double black glades just to mix things up when I'm out with friends on a weekend. When alone, I never ride glades, instead going 60/40 favoring groomers. I used to think I can just butter but after starting to hit jumps realized that air time is my calling.

My home mountain is Cypress Mountain here in Vancouver, BC, so I get to ride a lot of hard pack/ice and slush and, rarely, fresh powder. 90% of my time is spent riding at night so hard/frozen conditions is what I'm used to.

I'll be coming from a 2010 Rome Garage Rocker which I will sell to help pay for this next board. I also have a Lib tech JLP so I dont really need a powder board.

Thanks for the help, guys!
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lib Tech TRS
OU812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, I got to demo one of these & it was awesome.

The few people I've talked to that bought one love theirs.

Rossignol Jibsaw Magtek Mid Wide Snowboard 2012 | evo outlet

@ $150 bucks that's a steal. I'd look into it @ least, I ride the same shit as you.

There is a regular width one too, just don't know how much.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jibsaw is a beast and it will do everything that you described. Not a noodle and not a stiff board, its perfectly right in between to where you can still have fun with it all over. I havent taken it on any really steep terrain yet though. The Mag is fairly mellow compared to my TRice, but honestly I prefer riding the Jibsaw just because its so much more lively and fun.
kdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would look at the ride machete. Great pop, but a little on the stiffer side, I'd give it a 7 flex rating. A great all around mountain board that you can bomb down runs on.
triumph.man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post

@ $150 bucks that's a steal. I'd look into it @ least, I ride the same shit as you.

TT
Great price on that JibSaw. Im actually considering it for that cheap price. As a freerider, it would be nice to hop on a lil play stick from time to time.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Love my 2012 Yes Great Beauties. The 2013 would be perfect for your riding style and conditions. The camrock profile is stable and playful at the same time. Feels great bombing groomers, the slight camber between the feet really gives it some pop and stability carving. Rocker in the tip and tail make it easy to float in pow. Great board. Buy one quick because they are not doing a Greats board next year.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

TT
You are recommending a midwide 160cm for a kid who weight 156 and has size 8 feet?
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smokin KT22........im lookin at getting this board.

KT22
golfer1659 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys! Unfortunately for the TRS, my buddy is getting one and since we like to share boards, I get to ride it anyway. We both want something... different? Maybe I should look at the Nug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
Love my 2012 Yes Great Beauties. The 2013 would be perfect for your riding style and conditions. The camrock profile is stable and playful at the same time. Feels great bombing groomers, the slight camber between the feet really gives it some pop and stability carving. Rocker in the tip and tail make it easy to float in pow. Great board. Buy one quick because they are not doing a Greats board next year.
Awesome, thanks for that. Was really looking for some feedback on Yes boards, since I don't think they get a lot of hype, even with this year's Good Wood rating.

Unfortunately, I just came back from two of the local shops and they ran out of the 154cm The Greats and are left with the 152cm model (Peter Line ftw). I can probably ride a 152cm, but every board I've ridden has been 154 and am hesitant to go shorter and lose stability that you need riding bumpy groomers.

Also came back from the shop beside it and they had the Forum Destroyer DD on sale for $370, which is pretty damn cheap. Now I'm even more torn between those two...

Quote:

Yeah that seems good and according to goodride ratings seems plenty playful.

Yeah, Evo's outlet's really good. Thats where I bought my Rome Garage for cheap. Thing is I'd rather buy local now. Talk to the shop dudes, get to know them, maybe get some love when I come in with a problem in the future. It's actually nice talking to shop dudes about board tech and stuff... Welcome change from all the other bullshit in life. Makes me want to work in a boardshop actually...
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote