used board help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
mercury187

Default used board help

Hi, A few years ago I decided to try snowboarding as my dad likes to go skiing and kept offering to take me with but I decided to try to take up snowboarding instead. The first day I took a basic lesson on rental equipment and they got me going down the beginner hills. I spent a little while messing around and then we went home. I was telling a friend about how it went and he offered to sell me his used board with bindings and boots as he was moving and didn't need them anymore.
I took the board to the mountain and it was tough getting it to go, I had the bottom hot waxed and that got it moving more but every time I started to get going an edge would catch and send me flying to the ground. After falling down so many times I got quite discouraged and gave up that season. I tried it again next season and the same thing, I'd get going and then bam and edge would catch and be either on my butt or landing on my hands and after a bit both really start to hurt from repeatedly falling.
After a snowboard has been used a while do the edges need to be sharpened or something? Or when this happens is the board just too old to be used anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is the make, model and year of the snowboard?
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

if your a beginner, it could be the type of board you are using. some boards are more forgiving than others esp. when your starting out. if your edges are dull, sharpen them, it'd help you carve better, but it probably is the make and model of the board that is causing you to fall. like what grimdog said, what is the make, model and year of the snowboard?
lightningflik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
mercury187

Oh ok, I think my friend was pretty decent so that must be why. I have no idea about the year but I can check the writing on it when I get home and post some pictures for you guys. He told me right away when I got it that it will need to be waxed but he didnt say anything else about it..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It sounds like to me you are getting the classic "flyswatter" fall. It might be your board, but it could also just be your inexperience. Try a rental for a day and see if it makes a difference. A rental should set you back more than $20. Put some pics up of your gear. I am curious as to what you are using. Board, boots, and binders please.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My guess is that the edge catching is you and not the board. I would strongly suggest taking another lesson if possible, it might help you get restarted faster than just trying to do it on your own after two years
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote