Please help. Bad equipment or me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help. Bad equipment or me?

I have been snowboarding may a total of 10x.
Each time I felt I got better so I decided to spend on equipment.
The last time I went I kept falling while trying to link my turns. I'm a regular rider. I felt like my left foot would start to link the toe side with my heel side but the response in my right foot was noticeably delayed and when I tried to overcompensate for it I'd eat it pretty hard. I started to lose confidence.
I decided to use my brothers rental equipment. We're the same height and weight. All of a sudden I was carving at speed like no other.
He had a Rental Burton with Burton progression bindings. I was surprised that I could actually do what I wanted with rental equipment.

I am 5'7 160lbs. Regular. Free ride. I don't plan on doing jumps. Just like to carve and have fun.
I have a 2011 Ride Antic snowboard.
Flow Pro bindings
DC judge 2012 boots

My bindings when tight cause immense foot pain on my arches. When loosened it feels better but I'm not sure if I'm losing control or if the board is too much for me

Please help? Could it be the bindings? Is it me? Or is the board?
I'm telling you though, with that rental equipment I had the most fun I've ever had snowboarding.
With my equipment I feel like I'm in a car with no brakes.

Last edited by Barcagp; 02-13-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Barcagp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

knowing the size or your board would be helpful
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your bindings should not be causing you pain. I would replace those and then reassess.

Rental Burtons are also more torsionally flexible than most boards. Pushing one foot while pulling the other foot will turn the board. The pain caused by the bindings is preventing you from applying the proper pressure to flex your board.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If a flow binding is causing pain anywhere, you have them on way too tight.

I would reasses the way your bindings are set up before buying anything.

You should be able to get all the control you need without any issue.
racer357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry. Board size is 151cm

When I loosened the bindings I was without pain but I felt I did not have the same control. The response was delayed.
Would a good pair of Burton bindings be more suited for me or do the bindings not make a difference?
Barcagp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How do your feet feel in your boots when not strapped into the bindings?

At your weight, you should be having no physical problems flexing a 151cm board. Bindings do make a difference, but you need the right fit with your boots. They don't have to be Burton. Do you have a local shop where you can try fitting your boot into different bindings?
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

If I am reading this right, you just started using your new equipment right?

It's probably going to be harder to control for the first few days. You need to get used to your new gear, find the right set-up for the bindings, boot tightness etc. Learn how the board/bindings react to what inputs.

The rental board may have been more forgiving, with blunter edges, and softer bindings.

I just bought brand spanking new Salomon Caliber bindings and Salomon Synapse boots (which are both pretty hard on the flex scale). That, and I had my board sharpened for the first time in years. First 2 days I wasn't feeling confident at all, worried I'd be catching edges all the time, despite riding for more than 15 years. But after a few trials with adjusting my stance, boot tightness, and in general getting to know the new set-up, on my 3rd day I was having one of the best days boarding ever.

One thing I did have in mind when buying my new boots/bindings, was to keep to the same brand. Then you have little to worry about how well the boots fit the bindings. My board is a '99 Burton Rippey, so I initially wanted an all Burton set up, but after trying on loads of shoes, Salomons were the most comfortable, so I matched them to some badass Caliber bindings. I wanted a new set-up with good response, and response is what I got

But yeah, don't go blaming your new gear just yet. Experiment with what you have, and hopefully you will find the right set-up soon.
djmisio85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you. Always you.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote