snowboard wax kits - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default snowboard wax kits

so i just purchased my snowboard and i was looking into some snowboard wax kits and wanted some opinions on this snowboard wax kit Deluxe Snowboard Tuning Kit (1210)

like if anyone has bought this and what they think of the edge and bevel tool ect... or if anyone can recommend another kit they found more useful. Keep in mind that i have no equipment whatsoever and need a kit with the basic fundamentals.
Stryder420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
NickNorth11

I have this kit: Swix Alpine Glide Wax Kit from Backcountry.com It's a bit on the pricey side, but I needed an iron along with the other stuff and you can't go wrong with swix.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check out tognar toolworks.

I bought their basic snowboard waxing kit. You get an iron, wax, brush & scraper for about $50. Good basic kit I use it all the time. It doesn't include any edge tuning tools but they do sell them separately if you want those too.

Ski Snowboard Tuning Wax Tool Kits Tognar
hvalley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
kwu

don't mean to thread steal but i gotta question snowolf, can you pick up any of these brushes from like a hardware store or any place else other than at a local shop cause most of the shops here just sell kits rather than separate tools, and for a the citrus base cleaner that you said you can pick up, what is the brand or name of the product that you use so I can use some reference when I go to try and find it. Also with the nylon brush, when you texture the base, are you supposed to just do a long single sweep from tip to tail or do you just brush it like you are polishing with the scotchbrite pad?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

i use a plastic putty scraper from home depot as my scraper. is that ok? ive heard of people using metal scrapers, but i was scared to scratch my board..
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvalley76 View Post
Check out tognar toolworks.

I bought their basic snowboard waxing kit. You get an iron, wax, brush & scraper for about $50. Good basic kit I use it all the time. It doesn't include any edge tuning tools but they do sell them separately if you want those too.

Ski Snowboard Tuning Wax Tool Kits Tognar
Thanks a lot hvalley this is exactly what i was looking for, all the basic stuff at a good price.
Stryder420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
Go to the grocery store and get Parafin Wax.
Do not follow this advice. Now I know why Carmen's board runs so damn slow. Get a snowboard wax, all temp, or for the temps you are expecting.

The Tognar advice was pretty good. They are legit. I buy a lot of stuff from them myself. The shop ptex is the key thing with them. Way better than candle ptex. I also get the base repair string as I tend to get a lot of core shots over a season.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Do not follow this advice. Now I know why Carmen's board runs so damn slow. Get a snowboard wax, all temp, or for the temps you are expecting.

The Tognar advice was pretty good. They are legit. I buy a lot of stuff from them myself. The shop ptex is the key thing with them. Way better than candle ptex. I also get the base repair string as I tend to get a lot of core shots over a season.
Yeah for the cost of a proper waxing iron and proper wax go with tools that are made for waxing boards and not clothes. Don't go welfare on your tuning gear. It makes life easier and does a nicer job.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
No the board ran slow because actually I was too scared to go down all that powder and I think I didnt lean back enough honestly..

Honestly its worked fine for me...Particularly over here on the east coast...where are snow is fast most days.

Now my board has run slow when I bought the kit wax and used the yellow in warmer temps...rather than the red???

But hey...2 each his own.
When riding in warm temps, your board is going to be slower no matter what wax you use. Using a warm temp wax will give you better glide. Using grocery store wax is just stupid. And again, your board runs exceedingly slow.

I use cheap wax all the time, but it is snowboard/ski wax.

Using an old iron is fine. I did that for years. A proper wax iron is nice but not necessary.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
kwu

Quote:
Using an old iron is fine. I did that for years. A proper wax iron is nice but not necessary.
Kill, so you just used a regular old household iron? what did u do about the holes on it?