Is Magne-Traction really all its hyped up to be? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Board is Better for all mountain, off piste, J-Hole terrain?
Burton Super Model 0 0%
Lib Tech TRS BTX 2 25.00%
Lib Tech TRS MTX 4 50.00%
Atomic Cold Smoke 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
beave006

Default Is Magne-Traction really all its hyped up to be?

I am a 10 year experienced rider from the east coast, and I'm moving to J-Hole for a few years and its time for an upgrade. I want to know if lib tech's "magne-traction" is really all its cracked up to be? I am between a Burton Supermodel, Atomic Cold Smoke, and Lib Tech TRS MTX/BTX and I really want to know if Lib Tech is really worth the extra dough. PLEASE, someone drop some knowledge on me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm a mid atlantic rider so I know all about ice riding. I had a chance to ride a magna-traction board on the ice and there was a HUGE difference. It was able to dig in and carve out a turn on ice I usually would have just bombed down. Very very well worth the extra cash in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok, am I missing something here? You are looking at MTX for riding out West? Little confused here...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

You can get a smokin magnetraction from porters tahoe for pretty cheep. Its a great board and the magnetraction helps a lot on ice and hard stuff but if you life out in the fluff that shouldnt be an issue.
Mysticfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your best bet is just learn to ride with a proper stance. I was riding ice on a board with edges unsharpened for about a month, and got through ice just fine. Plus I just didn't enjoy riding with edges like that, I like it to be a bit more playful.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

magne rocks.

i tried a friends lib tech magne on a slope that had my conventionally edged nitro chattering and sideslipping all day. the difference was incredible!

from semi-controlled chatter, to turning like it was fresh groomer.

but i share KCs confusion.... the move to magne should be when going from west to east, not the other way around.

but i guess it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have...?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
beave006

It still gets icy on the west coast, spring skiing out there is terribly icy. But, I really was just curious more than anything.

Question to Snowjoe: Was magne-traction less responsive? what did you not like?

Paolo, you are on track, have and not need is my angle I think. It does get icy on the west side, I watched a guy in PC in the Canyons slide uncontrollably for like 700 yards after washing out on an easy blue. I ride pipe too, so MTX is worth at least a look.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Those icy days are the exception and not the rule though. You are asking for an off piste board and worried about ice? That also doesn't make much sense. Also you are not going to get a good backcountry/powder board that also rules it in the pipe. I am just getting mixed signals here. If you want a good powder board, MTX doesn't even figure into the equation. You can get MTX or BTX on a banana board. The banana tech would better serve you for powder. Better yet, get a board that is a pow slayer like the Neversummer Summit, or Prior Kyhber. Both of those boards ride fine on piste and just kill it in the pow and spring corn. For more aggressive freeride, the Neversummer Titan, Unity Dominion, K2 Podium, Flow Infinite are good hard charging freeride boards. The Rome Anthem is another board you might look at.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beave006 View Post
It still gets icy on the west coast, spring skiing out there is terribly icy. But, I really was just curious more than anything.

Question to Snowjoe: Was magne-traction less responsive? what did you not like?

Paolo, you are on track, have and not need is my angle I think. It does get icy on the west side, I watched a guy in PC in the Canyons slide uncontrollably for like 700 yards after washing out on an easy blue. I ride pipe too, so MTX is worth at least a look.
I fact Im being a bit harsh I think, it just doesnt really suit my type of riding. For carving it up and bombing things its great, however I tend to ride fast on chutes and steep ungroomed faces where you dont find some much ice. The steep groomers where they hold the world cup downhill races on are more fun to just straightline, and the rest I just jib around on so your not so much riding "properly" anyway. I could understand where it would be helpful on an icy pipe.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I won't lie I didn't read to into this thread, but frankly all those board choices are so fucking scatter brained.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote