Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Second Board.. Experienced Rider (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/65666-second-board-experienced-rider.html)

SnowRock 02-14-2013 09:26 AM

Second Board.. Experienced Rider

Hi All.. I have a 2012 Salomon Man’s Board 159 and have loved my 1.5 seasons on it so far. I am thinking about looking to pick up something else as we approach deal season.

About me 34, 20 years riding, 5’8” 195lbs… but fairly solid (had to shop in the dreaded “husky” section growing up, always had an “athletic” build). Ride fast (for me), like to pop off natural features, carve, try to charge hard.

East Coaster… Hunter/Camelback are home hills, 3-4 VT trips a season, 1-2 “Out West” trips. Have started to spin a little again this year (180s mostly). Have a bum back wheel (retorn ACL graft) and will be getting my 3rd surgery on that knee this off season.

Looking for something that is a bit more playful than the man’s board, but I have only ridden camber. The TBT and K2 flat stuff have intrigued me reading about them. Never going to be a park dude at this age, but wouldn't mind something I could have some fun with and that isn't looking to punish me if I get a little lazy end of day.

Thoughts?

Lamps 02-14-2013 09:39 AM

From the burton line consider custom flying V, sherlock, or Antler. Flying V shape isn't great on ice but you've got that covered with your salomon.

I'm from ontario where we've got four conditions, fast grass, slow granite, ice, even snow sometimes. I ride camber when the snow is hard/icy and ride a flying V on softer days. Trips out west where there's less or no ice also good for flying V.

super-rad 02-14-2013 10:00 AM

I ride the same hills as you, and I picked up a Bataleon deck before this season. I'd definitely take a look at them. Super fun to ride. A great combo of playfulness and stability in my opinion. I've read reviews where people said they couldn't flat base on TBT, but I had no problem pointing it. Edge hold on ice leaves something to be desired, but I'm sure it's nothing an experienced ice coast rider can't handle.

I do not know soft you are looking to go, but I'd take a look at the Evil Twin, Goliath, and Whatever.

bseracka 02-14-2013 10:33 AM

Since you're on the ice coast the Lib TRS and Gnu RC could be interesting options for you too.

RickB 02-14-2013 11:41 AM

i discovered tbt a couple year ago, love it.

GreyDragon 02-14-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseracka (Post 724202)
Since you're on the ice coast the Lib TRS and Gnu RC could be interesting options for you too.

+1 on these.
TRS is alot of fun, yet stable enough to cruise. Magnetraction is excellent on hardpack/ice.

snowklinger 02-14-2013 11:56 AM

I thought I would like TBT and bought it without trying, did not really like. fwiw try it first.

I didn't notice a price cap so why not an NS Evo?

SnowRock 02-14-2013 01:15 PM

Yeah.. I'd love to take a few laps on a board with TBT to see how I like it. The TRS looks interesting as well. I have a trip to Stowe coming up as well as a trip out west come March (not sure where yet) maybe I will see if I can at least take a paid demo on something different to get a sense of how i like some of these new profiles.

SnowRock 02-15-2013 12:37 PM

How about Arbor's System Rocker? For someone coming from only camber experience would say a Roundhouse or Element be a "funner" ride but still give me a semblance of normalcy compared to what I am used to?

seriouscat 02-15-2013 12:52 PM

Second Board.. Experienced Rider

I would demo a full rocker first. Even with the grip tech I never felt fully comfortable on the coda on hard pack. Even though it's a lot of fun on soft snow days.

I'm sure this is partially due to my own riding tendencies as i tend to nose dive. For reference I adjusted enough to ride ns rc profile confidently on all conditions. Even a friend's banana magic !btx! With minimal non continuous rocker zone helped with the way a center reverse board felt.