Why not another Custom? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Duhg

Default Why not another Custom?

My 2000 Burton Custom is getting very long in the tooth. I will be buying a new board at the end of this season.

Me:
43 yo
6'4" 190# (of twisted steel and sex appeal )

Riding:
All mountain / freeride
When in VT with my wife (a very good skier) we hit blues, blacks and double blacks.
We also do tree riding and moguls. I get some strange looks being a boarder in the bumps, but man is it fun when done right.
I occasionally venture into the park, but just do the small to medium features. I also like to do spins and ride fakie.

Like I said, I currently ride a Burton Custom 164. It has handled anything I have wanted to do. I have ridden Burton since my 1984 Performer, so "we" have some history.

Is there a reason why I should not get another? And if I do, should I get the 162 or the 166?

Please don't populate this thread with hate, I'm just looking for an all mountain board that is comparable to what I am currently riding. Not knowing anything about what's out there, I am looking for suggestions (with a reason other than "It's the shizz". Remember, I'm old. )

Thanks in advance.

Duhg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

K2 Podium, Flow Infinite, Neversummer Titan (this one is a beast if you can ride it, it's amazing. If you can't it'll ride you.), Unity Dominion, are amazing freeride boards and I would say heads and shoulders above the Burton custom. They will all do ok at park, switch is fine. Again not designed specifically for it, but it sounds like you are just occasionally hitting the park. There are a few other models out there that are good. You should read through Burton Avengers reviews from all the boards he demo'd last season. Lot's of good information there. I am sure you'll find other boards that might meet your criteria in there.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Custom has transitioned to be more of a freestyle board in recent years and it sounds like you should look into a Custom X, Supermodel or Supermodel X. Another board you should look into is the Rome Anthem. It sounds like you've been out of the equipment market for a while, but the guys who started Rome used to design boards for Burton. The Anthem is Rome's new and improved version of what the Custom used to be.

The guys on the Burton message board could probably help you out a little more with how the Custom has changed since you bought yours.
Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

just because i am biased, of course

Supermodel x (08 model).

its got 10mm taper for pow
super fast wfo base
light core
stiff

when i rode my buddy's last season, it was just butter. abs. perfection (but then again, i've only been boarding for a couple seasons)
but just the way it held an edge (almost allowing a euro carve, hehe) and transitioned from edge to edge was sublime.

i've heard really good stuff about arbor, check out their boards, but i still say supermodel x 160 would be good for you (unless you want to go longer)
italiaboi24 is offline   Reply With Quote