Slash ATV + Union SL - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Slash ATV + Union SL

Soo my board got stolen in Dec., and after riding rental boards hoping it will turn up I'm going to get a new one.

I snowboard all-mountain, with an emphasis on steeps (still working on em), jumps, moderate spins/grabs, tree runs, and drops. I'm pretty set on traditional camber, here although I wouldn't be opposed to a little rocker outside the feet, and magnetraction is out of the question, but mellow magnetraction is a must.

I also want to make sure that my boots will fit my bindings/board...

I wear a size 11.5 Burton Ruler (2012, I believe these have the Footprint Reduction Tech), weigh 170lbs and am 5'10"

I'm looking at the 161cm Slash ATV HUB

and the Medium/Large Union SL

Obviously I am open to other suggestions, and want to make the best choice possible for the type of riding/terrain I encounter...

The Burton Custom X is on my radar but it is pricey, more directional, and perhaps a bit too aggressive of a freeride board, but maybe I'm wrong. The Union ATLAS is also on my radar but for the money the SL seems to take the cake...but I'm posting to get some feedback on these decisions before I pull the trigger.
wildshoetwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SL's are currently my favorite binding. Same thing as the Atlas just with upgrades on highback and straps. Def a solid binding.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Get the L/XL Unions. I wear an 11 and don't fit into the M/L's. Also the 161 might be too long at your size. I'm also 170 and my all mountain deck is a 157. I used to ride a 160 and it was too unwieldy, I personally wouldn't go over a 159.

The Custom X is probably gonna be too aggressive. It's one of those boards where if you have to ask yourself if you should be riding it, you probably shouldn't. The regular Custom is still a bitchin all mountain board though. I'd check that out for sure.

Other options:
Capita NAS 157w
Arbor Roundhouse CX 159
Rome Crossrocket 158

You might be able to get away with the ATV 158, but it'd be cutting it close. My board is the same width at 253 and I'm fine on it. Depends on how shrunken your boot is and how ducked your stance is.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get L/XL. I have 11 boots and they don't fit in M/L.
koyota93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanlegend8 View Post
Get the L/XL Unions. I wear an 11 and don't fit into the M/L's. Also the 161 might be too long at your size. I'm also 170 and my all mountain deck is a 157. I used to ride a 160 and it was too unwieldy, I personally wouldn't go over a 159.

The Custom X is probably gonna be too aggressive. It's one of those boards where if you have to ask yourself if you should be riding it, you probably shouldn't. The regular Custom is still a bitchin all mountain board though. I'd check that out for sure.

Other options:
Capita NAS 157w
Arbor Roundhouse CX 159
Rome Crossrocket 158

You might be able to get away with the ATV 158, but it'd be cutting it close. My board is the same width at 253 and I'm fine on it. Depends on how shrunken your boot is and how ducked your stance is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyota93 View Post
Get L/XL. I have 11 boots and they don't fit in M/L.

Do you guys have the burtons with the footprint shrinkage technology? I just dont' want my foot slipping side to side in the bindings. I wear an 11.5 but these Burtons are supposed to be the size of a 10.5

Also thanks for the board reccs. the Arbor has continuous rocker so that's no good, the CrossRocket seems to be unfavorable to people, and the Capita lacks mellow magnetraction, which is sort of a must. So I'm not sure any of those work for me.

Is a 157cm aggressive all mountain board big(wide) enough for L/XL bindings + size 11.5 Burton boots without toehang? How much waist width am I looking for?

Last edited by wildshoetwt; 02-15-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wear K2 Maysis boots. They have a somewhat reduced footprint, but I don't think it's as much as the Burtons.

Also your call but imo with a cambered board you really don't need magnetraction. A good camber deck will hold an edge on anything that can an edge can be held on.

Last edited by suburbanlegend8; 02-15-2013 at 02:44 AM.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Slash ATV HUB
Jones Mountain Twin
Capita Black Snowboard of Death
Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix Classic

these are the 4 I am considering, really...

Last edited by wildshoetwt; 02-15-2013 at 04:47 AM.