Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Burtons channel system... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/66154-burtons-channel-system.html)

FreeBird 02-15-2013 07:02 PM

Burtons channel system...

Seems to me like a smarter system than the standard 4x4 deal. I dont know how new this system is, but will other brands eventually use this system too, or is it burton only forever?
:dunno:

SimonB 02-15-2013 07:15 PM

Re: Burtons channel system...

Burton most likely have patented this and probably will charge an huge amount to license it to another company, much like what happened in 1993 with the 3D pattern.

super-rad 02-15-2013 07:21 PM

I thought I saw some pics of a new K2 split board with a channel looking thing.

EDIT: Here's a pic

FreeBird 02-15-2013 07:39 PM

Makes sense that they would want to keep the channel system for themselves, unless the can cash in big time licensing it. I just dont know how patents, etc works.

(That split board system looks interesting)

SimonB 02-15-2013 07:43 PM

Re: Burtons channel system...

Quote:

Originally Posted by super-rad (Post 731306)
I thought I saw some pics of a new K2 split board with a channel looking thing.

EDIT: Here's a pic

Really does look a lot like Burton's system.

jamesdthomas2 02-15-2013 10:09 PM

Its is a better system. One thing u will notice is board feel. One thing u can do when adjusting the binding is center the binding between heel and toe. This will even the over hang depending on your stance angle. Of course this is minor.

poutanen 02-16-2013 12:32 AM

I don't know any details of when the patent runs out, if they can renew, etc. All I know is I like it and can't wait for the day well all move on from the 4x4 system...

If I were hand building a board I'd probably try to find some trashed burton boards and take the ICS/EST channels out of them. It's just better!

jojotherider 02-16-2013 01:18 AM

What is it that you like so much about it?

I've got it on my Directional Nug and don't really notice too much, but maybe I just don't know what i'm looking for while riding.

Oldman 02-16-2013 07:20 AM

Everyone feels the binding / board relationship differently. That said, for those who do adjust their binding settings more frequently, the channel is so much quicker and easier. There is nothing else on the market right now as easy.

poutanen 02-16-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojotherider (Post 732034)
What is it that you like so much about it?

I've got it on my Directional Nug and don't really notice too much, but maybe I just don't know what i'm looking for while riding.

I don't notice it at all while riding, it's just the setting up that makes so much more sense. With 4x4 and discs you're restricted to a couple few notches of the disc, and slots forward and backward.

With the channel you can get the exact stance width and angle you want, and the boots can be perfectly centred over the board. It's just easier...