Board Suggestions for Tall Rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Giant

Default Board Suggestions for Tall Rider

Hey guys,

Recently got into snowboarding and am looking at getting my own gear for next season. I would class my self in high begginer low intermediate skill level and would like a general purpose board that could work on the slopes as well as the park when i get the confidence up.

I am willing to wait till this years stuff goes on sale to make space for 09 stuff or even get 09 stuff if its that much better.

My problem is my size, Ive read the sizing recommendations on a heap of sites, but cant find gear that i should be looking at.

I am 6"5'ish or 195cm tall and about 90Kg, from what I've read i would need a board about 168-175 (to reach between chin and nose) but cant find any this big!

My other problem is my feet, I have size 15-16 US shoes, these in boots become huge, and finding a board with the right width is also posing a problem.

If anyone has any suggestions of brands and models to look out for and ones to steer clear of it would be much appreciated. I want to buy local (in Melbourne, Aus) if possible so i have the help an support of a store while I'm getting into and can hopefully work out a deal if i do boots bindings and board at once. If it makes a difference I will be mainly at Mt Buller for this and next season.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Board length is determined by your weight not your height. Only thing that matters with height is stance width.

Get properly sized off a mondo point Brannock that will get you the most accurate reading, I downsize about 2 sizes.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Board length is determined by your weight not your height. Only thing that matters with height is stance width.
Thanks for that, probably makes things easier.

Also as Im fairlky new to the sport, what brands should I be looking at and steering clear of? I assume its like most industries where the best marketed stuff is generally mediocre in quality and some of the less marketed is better quality?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, if you're talking about Burton, their stuff is generally decent quality, its just that for the same price most other companies will have a comparable board $100 cheaper.

Good companies would include Rome, Lib Tech, Gnu, Forum, Capita, and Signal. Those ar emy picks anyways
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Giant

Thanks I'll look into them.

So far I have come across the Lib Tech Skunk Ape (BTX or MTX), which seems to come in the perfect size. Is there something similar from a previous year or other brand, as this is a bit above my budget but if it needs to be done I'll just wait a bit and get it.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't take the skunk ape in the park personally. But I'd look at the K2 afterblack or the Darkstar wide as they're calling it. Never summer legacy or revolver both will accomodate your overly large hoof.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Naderolaviet

I'm about 6'3, 175. When i started out i bought this nitro board for like 150 bucks, i think it was a target. It was a 161 wide (i'm a size 11). The thing was a tank, heavy as hell, but i could get it going pretty good. I suggest starting off with a heavy/cheap board. You learn on that thing, then the next board you get spend some more dough, and you'll be amazed how much easier riding is on a cheap board. it's kind of like ankle weights. you train with them to get better, once its time for the real deal, take em off and you fly.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

You may already know this but I just saw it hadn't actually been mentioned earlier in this thread. For that sized boot most companies will market a wide board selection (i.e. "Burton Custom", and "Burton Custom Wide.") You will want to try your damndest to avoid heel/toe drag. Making your stance a little duckfoot (as much as is comfortable) can help with that if you run into problems. Also, some bindings have risers that will lift your foot up just a little, again to avoid heel/toe drag.

I think you may be focusing too much on the board. Make sure your boot/binding combo is good too. From personal experience I think the binding is as important if not more important than the board for overall feel on the snow. Also, don't skimp on the boot. Your choices maybe be limited with that size, but trust me, you do not want to sacrifice comfort on the snow just to get a "super good deal." Make sure you wear your boot around the house for a little while and that it's going to be comfortable, and don't be afraid to return it. Seriously, I've had an uncomfortable boot before, and it completely ruined my experience. My feet hurt bad when I was riding, and that was when I was 12 years and weighed a lot less than I do now.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
JTSECK

for boots, i am not sure that other companies do this, but I know burton has shrinkage tech which would make say a size 11 boot have the overall footprint of a size 10 boot and that would be key in your situation