which board for this kind of riding? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default which board for this kind of riding?

hop off the chairlift, walk up the mountain a bit more, strap-in, hit a narrow, extremely icy chute exit into a powder bowl, carve/air on a few wind lips, maybe land switch, take a tree run through some deep powder, maybe 50-50 a branch , exit onto a super steep hard-packed/icy face, work my way down that as fast as possible, into a groomed intermediate run that i might ride switch for fun, carve up the groomed intermediate terrain park, grab a melon off a kicker, slash turn on the lip of the quarter pipe, 50-50 a mini-box/rail, ride back into the woods and exit at the groomed convergence of all the runs at the bottom of the slope.

i can't tell whether you call this back country, aggressive, all mountain, freestyle, freeride, or what.

what board screams out for this type of riding? the key obviously is that it has to ride groomers, ice and powder excellently, be decent at riding switch and have the pop, speed, and carve of a traditional camber
wildshoetwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All mountain freestyle? Personally, I'd just call it snowboarding. As for boards, NeverSummer Proto, Signal Omni, Lib-Tech TRS, CAPiTA Totally F'ckin Awesome, Jones Mountain Twin. Those should get you going in the right direction I think.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshoetwt View Post
what board screams out for this type of riding? the key obviously is that it has to ride groomers, ice and powder excellently, be decent at riding switch and have the pop, speed, and carve of a traditional camber
Answered your own question, you have! Mmmmmmmmm!

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Answered your own question, you have! Mmmmmmmmm!

right but due to the amount of powder i ride in and the fact that i like a lively board, i might be considering a hybrid here...

Last edited by wildshoetwt; 02-17-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshoetwt View Post
right but due to the amount of powder i ride in and the fact that i like a lively board, i might be considering a hybrid here...
Fair enough, then camber with lifted tips or a mild RCR profile would be in order. Camber is as "lively" as it gets though. And if you ride as aggressive as your initial post sounds, you'd have no trouble riding a stiff camber board through powder.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Fair enough, then camber with lifted tips or a mild RCR profile would be in order. Camber is as "lively" as it gets though. And if you ride as aggressive as your initial post sounds, you'd have no trouble riding a stiff camber board through powder.
maybe you can help me cross some options off my list?...

capita black snowboard of death
gnu billy goat
jones flagship
jones mountain twin
lib tech jamie lynn phoenix classic
never summer heritage
slash atv hub
slash straight

edit: seems like the billy goat, one of my top contenders is no good, 255cm maximum waist width is not going to cut it for my feet i don't think. (size 12 with footprint reduction tech = size 11)

Last edited by wildshoetwt; 02-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would change the BSOD to the TFA. The TFA is stiffer and a twin. The BSOD is a directional twin and softer. Both are good decks, but the TFA seems a little more in line with what you want to do. If the Goat is to small, you could look at the Skunk Ape, but I think that might be a bit to big. You could look at the T-Rice, but that might be too stiff for you. That's why I suggested the TRS. The Mountain Twin seems more what you're looking for than the Flagship since it's more of a big mountain freestyle deck. The Jamie Lynn Board should be fun, but i have only ridden an older one. I know nothing about the Slash boards other than I like the way they look. I'm still waiting to ride my Heritage. Wednesday can't come soon enough.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote