Need help with boot and board selection... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
07gsxr

Talking Need help with boot and board selection...

First off, i would like to say i am familar with the "search" function and i have tried it, but havent been able to find any good results that apply to my questions. Any help would be appreciated.

This will be my second season riding (about 15 days last year) and feel i am picking up the sport pretty quick (can carve down the whole mtn, hit / land a few small jumps). I am 6'0, 190lbs, with a 10.5 boot and ride mostly at Big Bear, Mt High, and am looking forward to a couple trips to Mammoth this year. I am buying a whole new setup and am on a moderate budget ($300-350 for boots / board). I already picked up some Burton Custom bindings for a good deal.

My first question is with boots. Im looking for a reasonably priced boot with good ankle support. I looked at the Burton Moto but have read a lot of users describing them as "soft" and or "loosening up." I need good ankle support cause on my last run of spring last year in Tahoe i F'd up my ankle.

My second question is any board suggestions you guys have (within my budget *or maybe a little above it*). I am definitely an "all mountain" rider and even though i said i jumped a few times, im not going to be a park guy. Also, I am on a 158 board now, should i be riding a bigger board because of my weight?

THANKS for your help! Also, if anyone lives in San Diego and ever wants to carpool up to Bear / Mt High let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boots are all about how they feel on you. I could give you recommendations for boots but it would be based on my own feel. Best advice I can give is to go to a shop and try some on. That being said, I really like the boa system on my vans. Very handy and very tight in the ankle. Also, try some size 10.0 boots. You can usually got a little smaller than your normal street shoes.

As for your board, I wouldn't go below 158. In fact, you may want to jump up to a 159/160 based on the type of snow you get up there. Both GNU and Lib-Tech have some excellent boards this season with reverse camber and magne-traction. I'm a HUGE fan of the reverse camber boards. Very very fluid ride.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you might want to examine that budget a little bit. I think you can find a good pair of boots for around $200, but there is a good chance you'll have to go North of $200. Definitely less than $300 if you want some good news. Hey at least it's not ski gear. Salomon, Vans, K2, all make some solid boots. You are right about the Moto's getting soft.
Now you might score a home run on prices by searching around, but at this point for what you are needing a $500 budget is more in line. $200 boots, $300 board. Which I think you might go a little over. Then again, look around, watch Sac and Whiskeymilitia, etc. You never know. It's possible you can stay within your $350 criteria, but I think if you do, you stand a high chance of getting something crappy that won't last. Then you spent your money on something lame and will just end up spending more in the long run.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
07gsxr

Mens Snowboards:
Option Signature 155 $137.99
Option Forecast 157 $158.99
Option Franchise 153,157 $143.99
Option Motive 151 $101.99
Option Mirror 159 $125.99
Palmer Burn 158,160 $158.99
Palmer Crown 157,161$284.99
Rome Solution 163 $116.99
Never Summer Titan 160 $173.99
Never Summer SL 158 $149.99
Nitro Team 159 $119.99
Nitro Super Team 157 $158.99
Nitro Misfit 158 $131.99
Salomon Prospect LTD 159 $119.99
Salomon LOFT 156 $194.99
Lib Tech Mullet 160 $137.99
K2 Darkstar 159 $107.99

These are some boards being sold by a local seller brand new. Should i go with any one of these given what im gonna be using the board for?