Wtf! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
I am a beginner so keep that in mind. So I learned on an Arbor Cascade (rocker) thought I knew what I was doing until I bought an Arbor Element CX (directional slight set back camber) and got some speed and working on nice thin line carving. I am getting there but need improvement anyway,... last night I finally tried to get back on my rocker and WTF! Not sure if I like rocker for other than learning jumps and ground tricks. Don't see much Pow on the East Coast but I bet it would be awesome for that. So anyway now I understand what people are talking about when they talk about the performance levels of each type. So weird....
Camber is king. Always will be. But rocker has it's place and should be part of everyone's quiver. They're fun boards.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

I rode a flat board with rocker outside the bindings last sunday and thought it was an excellent compromise. I always rode all mountain with a large full cambered board but ended up one weekend on a soft rocker and HATED it. Wouldnt even hold turns on steeper blues. That I just cant deal with.
EastCoastChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Interesting...

I'm in my second full season back after a 10 year hiatus (and even then I was just learning to snowboard after being a long time average skier). I ride a Rome Anthem Hybrid Camber, and its all I've known. I'm just getting to the point where I might be able to appreciate the performance differences between boards, but I bought the anthem because I like groomers, I ride in east coast conditions (though moving to Seattle this summer, so that'll change), and because it seemed to be the board for what I want to do.

Given that I'd like to get better in the park and on natural features, and I'd like to learn to ride this magical powder (I've had one day of it, and it totally, totally kicked my ass, I don't see the big deal yet, but I've got hope), and I'd like to get better at moguls (which isn't saying much, because I suck at them now), it seems like I might be at a point where an additional board might make sense based on varying conditions or intent on any given day.

Or am I just rationalizing a possible case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome?
Hose91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose91 View Post
I'm in my second full season back after a 10 year hiatus (and even then I was just learning to snowboard after being a long time average skier). I ride a Rome Anthem Hybrid Camber, and its all I've known. I'm just getting to the point where I might be able to appreciate the performance differences between boards, but I bought the anthem because I like groomers, I ride in east coast conditions (though moving to Seattle this summer, so that'll change), and because it seemed to be the board for what I want to do.

Given that I'd like to get better in the park and on natural features, and I'd like to learn to ride this magical powder (I've had one day of it, and it totally, totally kicked my ass, I don't see the big deal yet, but I've got hope), and I'd like to get better at moguls (which isn't saying much, because I suck at them now), it seems like I might be at a point where an additional board might make sense based on varying conditions or intent on any given day.

Or am I just rationalizing a possible case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome?
No, you're absolutely right. I have multiple boards for different conditions. There's no such thing as a do-it-all board, especially with the variety in camber and sidecut profiles available now.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
No, you're absolutely right. I have multiple boards for different conditions. There's no such thing as a do-it-all board, especially with the variety in camber and sidecut profiles available now.
Ok, that's fair (and good news!). I've probably got some thinking and research to do in deciding what I have in the Anthem and what I might be looking for to "fill in the gaps" so to speak. Something a little more flexible and park friendly, maybe.
Hose91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

I am a fairly new midwest rider (coming up on day 25-26 probably this weekend), and I started on a older burton clash I picked up on craigslist, and i thought it was terrible, always catching edges, wouldnt turn for crap, super slow(probably because itwas never sharpened/wax lol).
But then i picked up a2012 rossignol jibsaw on close out two months ago and this board is amazing! rocker on the outside and camber in between seems like such a great compromise, doesnt seem too floaty like a rocker and can still put down a carve line close to a camber. plus with magnetraciton for the ice edge grip is awesome.
Havent caught a random edge since I got this board and im sold on hybrids, next purchase will be a board with camber out and rocker in between.
16gkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastChris View Post
I rode a flat board with rocker outside the bindings last sunday and thought it was an excellent compromise. I always rode all mountain with a large full cambered board but ended up one weekend on a soft rocker and HATED it. Wouldnt even hold turns on steeper blues. That I just cant deal with.
Glad I am not the only one who hates it. I learned on a rocker which was probably the best choice for me and then I switched over to a trad camber and a much stiffer board and instantly my riding improved. My turns were sharper, I felt more stable at high speeds, overall I felt more in control. I tried to hop back on my old rocker and I felt more out of control, and I was trying to hit some chutes. I was able to do it just fine, but I didn't like it at all. All and all I decided to give the board to my cousin who has been riding a thrift store board. And if she grows out of it, I'll give it to my sister when she ready to learn how to snowboard. Its great for beginners in my opinion.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastChris View Post
I picked up a stiff rocker-flat-rocker (coming from camber) and had the same experience. I pretty much retired my camber board, but I also rode a lot more pow this year despite the lean season.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16gkid View Post
I am a fairly new midwest rider (coming up on day 25-26 probably this weekend), and I started on a older burton clash I picked up on craigslist, and i thought it was terrible, always catching edges, wouldnt turn for crap, super slow(probably because itwas never sharpened/wax lol).
But then i picked up a2012 rossignol jibsaw on close out two months ago and this board is amazing! rocker on the outside and camber in between seems like such a great compromise, doesnt seem too floaty like a rocker and can still put down a carve line close to a camber. plus with magnetraciton for the ice edge grip is awesome.
Havent caught a random edge since I got this board and im sold on hybrids, next purchase will be a board with camber out and rocker in between.
I was looking at picking up the Jibsaw but I can't find it anywhere in the area so it would have to be online.

What's the camber profile look like? Does the camber extend to outside the inserts before it kicks up? Is it a stiffer or softer board? How does it press? And how quick are edge to edge transitions with the lifted contact points compared to your camber board?

I've read a good reveiw on it but it's hard to find specifics on the web.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I was looking at picking up the Jibsaw but I can't find it anywhere in the area so it would have to be online.

What's the camber profile look like? Does the camber extend to outside the inserts before it kicks up? Is it a stiffer or softer board? How does it press? And how quick are edge to edge transitions with the lifted contact points compared to your camber board?

I've read a good reveiw on it but it's hard to find specifics on the web.
Therere are a couple of sizes available right now on ebay for a pretty good price. 60% camber so I THINK it extends out past the inserts, i wouldnt call it soft at all but not overly stiff either maybe a 6/10. much easier to butter than my old board and it has flat tips. Edge to edge might be a hair slower than my camber board but still fast. I went 4cm longer than my old board but it doesnt really feel like it. Magnetraction is amazing since I ride in the midwest mansnow/ice. Im very glad I bought this board, just gotta get another board in opposite hybrid now to compare

a little salty because i paid about the same for the 2012 that these 2013 are going for now
2013 Rossignol Jibsaw Snowboard in Various Lengths | eBay

If you ride a 159 heres a 2012 at a stupid price
Rossignol Jibsaw Snowboard 159 cm with Magtek | eBay

I hope that helped a little.
16gkid is offline   Reply With Quote