Wtf! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wtf!

I am a beginner so keep that in mind. So I learned on an Arbor Cascade (rocker) thought I knew what I was doing until I bought an Arbor Element CX (directional slight set back camber) and got some speed and working on nice thin line carving. I am getting there but need improvement anyway,... last night I finally tried to get back on my rocker and WTF! Not sure if I like rocker for other than learning jumps and ground tricks. Don't see much Pow on the East Coast but I bet it would be awesome for that. So anyway now I understand what people are talking about when they talk about the performance levels of each type. So weird....
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just depends on the rider.

I don't like to bomb hills. I prefer to take it slow, hit natural features, hit some rails on the way down, and throw some butters and ground 1's in there on the flats.

Rocker is perfect for me.
guharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It just feels different, you'll get used to it.

It's up to you in the end though. I thought my evo was really surfy at first, but now I like it better than my old board.
MarshallV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guharon View Post
Just depends on the rider.

I don't like to bomb hills. I prefer to take it slow, hit natural features, hit some rails on the way down, and throw some butters and ground 1's in there on the flats.

Rocker is perfect for me.
Oh yeah I am not putting it down. Just weird trying to switch (for me a new rider) from one riding style to another. I do like how catch free it is and the confidence it gives me to take some jumps, press, and try nose to tail rolls. I think my issue is that all season I was only riding my camber board and focusing on carving and speed (which was my goal so it isn't a bad thing). Then I jumped on the rocker and I could not do the same. Just threw my senses off. I knew this about the different boards but to actually feel it is a new sensation to me. Before this I really didn't understand the different feeling it really gives.
I guess long story short. I didn't expect the ride to be that different.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Its a huge difference hey. I love the high speed stability of camber, you can back yourself in situations you would never dream of on a rocker board.
Rocker inside the feet is good but it has to be camber under and outside the feet for me.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
you can back yourself in situations you would never dream of on a rocker board.
What do you mean by this?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
Not sure if I like rocker for other than learning jumps and ground tricks. Don't see much Pow on the East Coast but I bet it would be awesome for that. So anyway now I understand what people are talking about when they talk about the performance levels of each type. So weird....
So I got to ride my rocker in some real powder this season, and fell back in love. I also notice that it preforms great in spring conditions when the snow is slightly soft from the melt. I do see in improvement in my riding from using a traditional camber but now can appreciate the rocker for own riding style. Guess I just needed to take it out some more.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

I still consider myself a Super NooB! I was worried about the same thing after I got my Garage Rocker. It rode so differently than my cambered Arbor Roundhouse, actually it was WAY easier to ride! (Heel to Toe transitions were fast & effortless, also WAY softer flex!) The situation became even more pronounced when I bought my used NS Proto CT. Both of these are regular width, short, (...by comparison,) boards. 159 / 157 respectively! The Arbor is 163!! I was concerned that I would lose a lot of the skills I gained learning to ride on the Wide Arbor!

My solution is to take both boards (...or even all three!) with me, check them and switch them out during the day so that I don't lose the feel for riding any of them, especially my Arbor!

BTW, I just became an "Official" POW initiate this weekend!!!! Boyne Highland's, in the ULP of MI, got over two feet of Fresh this week! In the two years I've been riding, this is the most AWESOME snow I've ridden!! It was knee deep all over the resort, and In some places it was up to my THIGHS!!!
I had to learn how to ride all over again!! Fuckin' amazing conditions!!! (...I rode all three boards in this and LOVED 'EM ALL!!)

{edit}
...on my way out for day 41!!!!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

When you bring 3 boards, do you swap bindings on them, or does each board has a pair of bindings on them?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
My solution is to take both boards (...or even all three!) with me, check them and switch them out during the day so that I don't lose the feel for riding any of them, especially my Arbor!
Yeah I ended up bringing both boards out. It did work great!

Last edited by tonyisnowhere; 03-22-2013 at 06:05 AM.