Charlie Slasher? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Good man drc. Thanks.

Are you leaning back a lot there? it's difficult for me to tell.

How tall are you btw?

Side note: Japan's trains are clean.

Last edited by bamfb2; 02-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb2 View Post
Good man drc. Thanks.

Are you leaning back a lot there? it's difficult for me to tell.

How tall are you btw?

Side note: Japan's trains are clean.
No worries glad it helped!

I definitely needed to keep my weight on my back foot especially when it got really deep. Going to the 158 or even setting back my bindings another step may have helped that but I just accepted that the board couldn't work miracles and that's just how you ride pow

As I said earlier though I loved the versatility and agility of the 154. If I'd known I would have gotten such deep conditions I would have given the 158 more thought, but you can also luck out and get no new snow for a few days and when packing 1 board for the flight you need to keep that in mind.

I'm around 5'7 as well but usually base my board decisions on weight not height. I forgot to mention I have a mate who's just headed to Japan and bought a charlie slasher but in 164 (he's bigger than me but not huge) will be interesting to see how he finds it.

Hah yeah everything is clean and great in Japan!

Last edited by drc13; 02-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.
drc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc13 View Post
No worries glad it helped!

I definitely needed to keep my weight on my back foot especially when it got really deep. Going to the 158 or even setting back my bindings another step may have helped that but I just accepted that the board couldn't work miracles and that's just how you ride pow

As I said earlier though I loved the versatility and agility of the 154. If I'd known I would have gotten such deep conditions I would have given the 158 more thought, but you can also luck out and get no new snow for a few days and when packing 1 board for the flight you need to keep that in mind.

I'm around 5'7 as well but usually base my board decisions on weight not height. I forgot to mention I have a mate who's just headed to Japan and bought a charlie slasher but in 164 (he's bigger than me but not huge) will be interesting to see how he finds it.

Hah yeah everything is clean and great in Japan!
Cheers for that, im the same weight but 5"11.. I need a board for Japan next season, if its to be the CL then it'll be 158! Hope Nagano is as good as everyone says, I'll be spending a season there!
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
Cheers for that, im the same weight but 5"11.. I need a board for Japan next season, if its to be the CL then it'll be 158! Hope Nagano is as good as everyone says, I'll be spending a season there!
Great, glad I could help.

If you're doing the season I presume you'll be taking more than one board? If that's the case I'd agree with sizing up as you don't require that same level of versatility. Despite having some of the best and most consistent Pow in the world you can still get dry spells in Japan which is where your all-mtn board will kick in.

Lucky you! where abouts in Nagano? I've been to Hakuba, Myoko Kogen and Nozawa Onsen and they are all pretty different.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Great, glad I could help.

If you're doing the season I presume you'll be taking more than one board? If that's the case I'd agree with sizing up as you don't require that same level of versatility. Despite having some of the best and most consistent Pow in the world you can still get dry spells in Japan which is where your all-mtn board will kick in.

Lucky you! where abouts in Nagano? I've been to Hakuba, Myoko Kogen and Nozawa Onsen and they are all pretty different.
Yea i'll be bringing a Proto a Split and a new powder deck, If I get a good price it'll be the CL! No idea mate, wherever work wants me to go. They've said it has to be Nagano, but other than that it might be possible for me to have my pick of resorts, all 3 you've been to have been mentioned. If thats the case where would you recommend most?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
Yea i'll be bringing a Proto a Split and a new powder deck, If I get a good price it'll be the CL! No idea mate, wherever work wants me to go. They've said it has to be Nagano, but other than that it might be possible for me to have my pick of resorts, all 3 you've been to have been mentioned. If thats the case where would you recommend most?
Nice, sounds like you are well setup.

It kind of depends on what kind of riding/apres you are most interested in.

Myoko is the quietest and least touristy of the 3. It's proximity to the ocean can mean huge dumps of snow. There is lots of easily accessable tree runs. Shuttle between multiple resorts. Zero apres other than some nice food/izakayas.

Nozawa has a lovely village to explore (although it's not huge) more tourists than Myoko but not it's still pretty good. One mountain/resort rather than multiple ones. I found inbounds a bit restrictive but there is plenty of terrain oob.

Hakuba is the most touristy/busy of the 3. Shuttle between multiple resorts. The most apres is found in echoland. Can be stricter when it comes to ducking ropes/trees etc. I can't speak first hand but apparently there's some impressive big mountain/back country riding..

If you are based in the general Nagano region for an entire season it's definitely feasible to visit all 3 + shiga if you want. It would be great if you have access to a car aas you can then follow the best conditions.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice, sounds like you are well setup.

It kind of depends on what kind of riding/apres you are most interested in.

Myoko is the quietest and least touristy of the 3. It's proximity to the ocean can mean huge dumps of snow. There is lots of easily accessable tree runs. Shuttle between multiple resorts. Zero apres other than some nice food/izakayas.

Nozawa has a lovely village to explore (although it's not huge) more tourists than Myoko but not it's still pretty good. One mountain/resort rather than multiple ones. I found inbounds a bit restrictive but there is plenty of terrain oob.

Hakuba is the most touristy/busy of the 3. Shuttle between multiple resorts. The most apres is found in echoland. Can be stricter when it comes to ducking ropes/trees etc. I can't speak first hand but apparently there's some impressive big mountain/back country riding..

If you are based in the general Nagano region for an entire season it's definitely feasible to visit all 3 + shiga if you want. It would be great if you have access to a car aas you can then follow the best conditions.
Thats a great help cheers mate! Boarding wise it'll all be about off piste/tree runs and I'm definately keen to take the split into some serious backcountry.

Yea i'll invest in a car so maybe it would be wiser to base myself in the area that has the better living as apposed to the best boarding if its all easily enough to get to on my days off. Luckily I'm not travelling alone my best mate will be with me so its all about the apres and chasing some asian tail
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

Ive got the 164 slasher (2011). Live and ride in nagano, but dont really pull it out all that often. i hear what youre saying on the 154/158. its a great quiver board, but its just a bit too much when you just want to cruise around. I much prefer pulling out the berzerker to be honest.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippy View Post
I much prefer pulling out the berzerker to be honest.
Thats a bit too much information mate, we are here to discuss snowboards!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Resident poet

I got a cs 164, 180#...the cs is great of deep bottomless....like waist to titty deep. It floats like a dream with the taper tail and shovel rocker nose, is stiff enough to blast through chop, do drops in the the bottomless and the reason it works on groomers is due to the cambered tail. Honestly, I only take it out on really deep days and imo it excels in big open cruising, it works in trees cause it floats and is manageable on the groomers. However, I'd be a bit reluctant to take it as an only board unless you are guarenteed deep bottomless fluff.

If you want something for knee or thigh deep, more playful perhaps the pow snake...but I have never ridden one and for me it depends on how stiff the rocker is...if its too soft it just folds up in the deep when you are trying to have fun...which is not helpful

Tags
charlie slasher, pow