midwest shred - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
snowman

Default midwest shred

any one from mid west?? Best places/states to shred??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah i'm from the midwest.

both boynes are pretty decent, as is nubs nob. boyne highlands is the best of the 3 though. boyne highlands, boyne mountain and nubs nob are all in northern michigan. i hear there are some pretty descent places in the minneapolis area as well though.

indiana/ohio is definitely not though. michigan's a far trip for me... down here there's like... paoli peaks, perfect north and mad river. you can ride every run on any of those hills in a couple of hours and they get old fast. most everyone around here are park monkeys.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
snowman

Nice man!! you ever ride anything in Colorado??
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rhett056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey011 View Post
most everyone around here are park monkeys.
You really have to be a "park monkey" in the midwest. You really can't go ride anything deep and steep.

mount bohemia in the U.P. is really good I heard. I have never been their tho. The places I grew up on were Tyrol Basin, Cascade "mountain", and Devils Head. Tyrol Basin has a good pipe. All those places are in WI.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
clev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett056 View Post
You really have to be a "park monkey" in the midwest. You really can't go ride anything deep and steep.

mount bohemia in the U.P. is really good I heard. I have never been their tho. The places I grew up on were Tyrol Basin, Cascade "mountain", and Devils Head. Tyrol Basin has a good pipe. All those places are in WI.
i used to live about 10 mins from bohemia now im going college about 45 mins away and about 2 mins from mount ripley where i park it up =]
Old 08-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Nice man!! you ever ride anything in Colorado??
Yeah, I've been out to most of the big ones at some point in my life... Breck, Vail, Crested Butte and others, but the only one I frequent is Winter Park, CO.. usually I go once a year and that's just because I find it to be the cheapest after all is said and done!

Quote:
You really have to be a "park monkey" in the midwest. You really can't go ride anything deep and steep
Tru dat man... it just gets old for me ya know? All my friends buy super short park boards and that's ALL they do. Even when we go out west they still want to hang out in the park a lot and it gets annoying. I just want to move out there soon. Either Denver or South Lake Tahoe or Salt Lake City. Maybe once I graduate.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rhett056

Riding pow is better than any park any day.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Riding pow is better than any park any day.
Eh...

Here's the thing: I love park. I love Pow. I love courderoy. I love Back country.

So I bought an all mountain board with good all around bindings and boots. I'm slightly more biased toward Big Mountain "Freeride" type stuff than Park "Freestyle" stuff. So I bought a board that was pretty stiff, and a little on the long side. The Burton Custom X. It's still more than capable in the park though. I think it's perfect for my riding style. The only problem is it does falter just a little bit in the pipe (but I don't do much pipe) and it really falters when hitting rails with the way I keep my edges. But, pipe and jib type stuff is what I do the least anyway. When I'm in the park I always hit the giant table top and kicker like features so it works out. Then when I go out west I can rape my friends on any bowl or in any pow.

By the way Rhett... I have a friend that just moved up to Minneapolis about a year ago. He lives up in the northwest suburbs and went to the U of M. I was asking him about what kind of resorts you guys have up there.. how is it? Any suggestions for when I go up and visit him? I've already been up there twice, but the first time was last september and the second time i actually just got back from yesterday (so no snow either time). I saw an article about good resorts near minneapolis in transworld snowboarding a while back but I forgot what it said.

Last edited by Petey011; 08-23-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Petey011 is offline   Reply With Quote