Advice on wide vs regular board for me - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on wide vs regular board for me

Hello All,

I've been lurking around the last few days trying to get an answer to my dilemma. I'm hoping you can help with your opinions. I'm 5' 10" and am hoping to get down to 180 lbs by next season (currently around 205). I'm currently riding a GNU DK Vertigo 158, although I didn't notice that it was wide when I purchased it, it is definitely a wider board. I have had this board for about 5 seasons.

I wanted to get a board for next season more on the playful side as I want to get into the park and learn more spinning/buttering tricks. I decided to go with a reverse camber board around the 156 range. I found a great deal on a GNU Carbon Credit and picked it up. However, in my excitement, I overlooked the width. I wear a size 11 boot and after setting up my boots and bindings I noticed about an inch overhang in the toe area, another inch in the heel.

The waist width of this board is 25.2. I have my bindings in a duck stance. 18 degrees up front, 15 in the back. I think I could get away with this set up as it doesn't seem like I'd toe drag unless I was carving an almost vertical wall, or powder, and on the east coast I am riding mostly park and groomers.

That being said, I've talked with the store I purchased from (They've been very helpful) and they said I can do a return if need be, but they are suggesting I not get a wide board. I'm hearing some conflicting opinions on this situation, as I would expect, I just wanted to hear some more opinions from you guys based on my situation/ rider profile.

Thanks for all the help. Happy to be part of another forum!

-Luca
LucaTheDamaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

you'll be just fine w/ that setup. you wanted something more playful...having a regular board vs a wide w/ size 11 boots will allow you to move from edge to edge much quicker. enjoy.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

With only one inch you'll be pefectly fine.
BackLip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

I'm a second season NooB and I did the same sort of thing when after my 2nd - 3rd time out, I purchased my first board. I bought an Arbor Roundhouse 163W cambered deck. I learned to ride on this Stiff, Wide, directional twin board.

This season I won a Rome Garage Rocker 159 "Flat Rocker" form WiredSport, and recently acquired a used 2011/12 NS Proto CT 157 Hybrid camber/rocker/camber. Both of these boards are reg width. You will DEFINITELY notice a quicker response from a reg width board, edge to edge. I don't know if 2cm less length will be much of a noticeable difference, but if it so, your turns will be quicker and tighter! I love the responsiveness of both these boards. Neither of these boards is all that stiff either. So Butters & presses are Much easier!

I'm 6' - 220 lbs. & I have wide feet so I have to find wide 10.5's or go with a size 11 boot! I was told that a size 11 REQUIRED a wide board,.. that advice was wrong!!! I never needed a wide! I run My angles at +18 / -12 or -15!

If quicker and more playful is what you seek, you should be fine with the setup you're considering! Just take some time to get used to it, cuz it will transition & turn FAST compared to what you're used to!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 02-18-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: ...cuz I spell like a third grader! ;)
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply's. Some good advice here. Looks like I'll stick with this board after all.
LucaTheDamaja is offline   Reply With Quote