recommendations for a freeride board - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mel, you bring up a good topic that I am sure few of us completely understand; sidecut.

Does anyone know of a chart displaying the basic sidecut / size of carve / style of riding relationship.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
I'd throw the capita BSOD into the mix.
This board isnt freeride like it used to be. All terrain freestyle at best. Its softer than it used to be.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Mel, you bring up a good topic that I am sure few of us completely understand; sidecut.

Does anyone know of a chart displaying the basic sidecut / size of carve / style of riding relationship.
Well, there's hyper progressive which is an infinite number blended together following a single radii, then there's 5 radial, dual degressive, dual progressive, triple progressive, triple degressive, radial, dual unblended, triple unblended, mellow Mag, Mag7 and 5, equalizer 3 and 5, EquaRad, blown contact pts, Variogrip...

And every one of those changes its behavior based on core profile, internal layup, rider stance, and camber style. Wanna try and make a comprehensive chart with all those variables?

The very basics: single radii is predictable, smooth and suited well for park. Deeper and more radii blended together lend to more response and harder/deeper carves. The smaller the number the tighter carves can be made. Of course that all gets ruined when you start doing stuff like blowing out contact pts or using straight lines in the curves...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

With that post...I'm totally lost hah
Csanto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

thanks for the answers.

so the NS f1 and the LIb should be no alternatives for me.
and the Ride Highlife or capita BSOD are to consider.

what about the burton boards?. should the vapor or the flying V be some hybrid versions of the custom and custom x? some experience with those boards?
and what about the palmer honeycomb?
max333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Don't forget the YES Pick your Line. Super stable on groomers, unsinkable in Pow, very damp und R-C-R profile. My favorite freeride deck ever.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Re: recommendations for a freeride board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanto23 View Post
I'm not a fast rider, I want something more playful and agile then my full camber board.

I was going to go to like a 155cm board and a hybrid setup, but I'm just confused on which to go for.
Freeride boards are built for stability at speed and tend to be the least playful of all board types and they tend to be longer than a 155. If you don't plan to go that fast, you don't need something stiff. It seems you're looking for a more all mountain board. NS and Gnu make good, playful, all mountain boards.

Specifically check out the Gnu Riders choice or Billy Goat and the NS SL or Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post

Don't have sophisticated technical knowledge of side cuts as some, but the freeride boards tend to have larger radii sidecut for dishing put large high speed carves. They also tend to have various tech like magnetraction and variogrip.

I found magnetraction great on ice, but a little too grippy for everything else, but there are different degrees by which manufacturers employ it on their boards. I have an NS SL with variogrip and I find it a good balance.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
Freeride boards are built for stability at speed and tend to be the least playful of all board types and they tend to be longer than a 155. If you don't plan to go that fast, you don't need something stiff. It seems you're looking for a more all mountain board. NS and Gnu make good, playful, all mountain boards.

Specifically check out the Gnu Riders choice or Billy Goat and the NS SL or Proto
How about Lib?

I'll check out those three and make a decision. Seems like you're right I just want a playful All mountain board.
Csanto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Resident poet

Like OP, mainly fr, no park, off piste when ever possible, yet love to speed run groomers on a groomer day. Highly recommend billygoat...got the c2 billy its really nimble and sure footed...however the c3 is more like a cambered and alittle more stable at bombing. Both have mellow mag which imho is better than full mag...i.e., grippy but no grippy. The slight compromise is that if keeping up with skiers on firm/ice groomed...skiers are going to be faster...but with a little pow you will match them and alot of pow you will be blowing past them...at least that's my experience on a good day.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanto23 View Post
How about Lib?

I'll check out those three and make a decision. Seems like you're right I just want a playful All mountain board.
Sorry, no experience with Lib. I only really know of their T. Rice line, but they're mid-wide boards and supposedly stiffer than the ratings suggest. Definitely meant for the advanced rider with semi-big feet. Just don't be fooled by watching Travis Rice ride around in it easy. He can ride down a mountain in a steel beam and make it seem playful!

If you want a playful board, anything with rocker will fit the bill. If you still want to carve with some speed while maintaining playfulness, anything with a camber-rocker-camber profile with a medium stiff flex may suit your needs.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote