recommendations for a freeride board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default recommendations for a freeride board

Hi, I need a little help picking my board and get advantage of the offers from mid-end season.
Sorry, I know this is the 873986th post on this topic, but I havenít found what I need.
I am a 5í11 and 163 lbs freerider. I like riding on powder and I go off trail always when itís possible, I like also do some natural jumps, hike to get some more fresh snow and tree runs. When off trail is too hard, or when I ride with friends on skis, I do groomed trails and like to do them as fast as possible. Fast is the only way carving can be fun. I like also to go as fast as my friends on skis. I almost never go to the park. I dont do rails nor the halfpipe, but sometimes I kick some jumps.

I like to go fast and I want a stable board. I own a '07 custom X 160cm and I was thinking on replacing it with the same model, probably a 158 this time. The board is very fast and responsive, I cant complain. However after a full day of riding on powder my back leg burns. Maybe that is normal but I could use a little help of technology as well.

I want a board with a good performance on powder and that allows me to bomb groomed runs. Probably its difficult to get both. I would like the performance of the custom X on trails, combined with the properties of a hybrid (rocker-camber) board on powder (a hybrid custom x? vapor?).
After a little research (on internet and this forum) and some friendís opinions Iím not sure about getting another custom X. mostly because of the performance on powder, but am afraid of getting a rocker board with a poor performance, or not too stable on groomed trails. So I need some help. If what I lose on stability is too much I would sacrifice the less floatation on powder. I donít know also how different from my board a í13 custom X is, perhaps it has more flotation. I could also compensate it by buying a longer board.

My search hat brought me to these boards below, but I will appreciate it if you have another suggestions
Burton custom X
Burton vapor
Burton custom flying V
Never Summer F1
Rome Anthem
Libtech hot knife c3 btx
Palmer honeycomb pro
Ride Highlife UL
Ride Machete GT

Excuse for my bad English but I am from Austria . thanks
max333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Max, we are all looking for the same board. Let me know when you find it.

Relax, your English is just fine.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm looking for something similar as well. I'm looking for Rocker-Camber-Rocker boards.

NS are all CRC and so are lib techs.

Rome has one board thats RCR, and Burton has the hybrids that are all RCR.
Csanto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanto23 View Post
I'm looking for something similar as well. I'm looking for Rocker-Camber-Rocker boards.

NS are all CRC and so are lib techs.

Rome has one board thats RCR, and Burton has the hybrids that are all RCR.
Ride Highlife UL, Ride Berzerker, K2 Slayblade, K2 Turbo Dream, Rossi Krypto might work for you. All have some element of camber or flat camber between the bindings instead of rocker.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All three of ya, go look into Venture snowboards. All they do is make stiff freeride decks. They are some of the best people in the industry.

If nothing strikes your fancy there I'd personally point you at the Highlife, Salomon Mans Board or a K2 Ultra Dream. All will do what your looking for but with different approaches. The Highlife is the high speed tank, power all the time. The K2 is more of the surf/skate influenced freerider. And the Mans sits somewhere in the middle. Aggressive and precise when you push it, lazy if you get lazy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would second the above poster's advice to look for a RCR variant. I was in almost the exact same spot and chose the NS Raptor but did not like the rocker between my feet when riding fast on hard snow.

The new LibTech C3 profile has camber between the feet but they don't make it in a directional freeride board yet, only twins. The other option is Prior in Whistler. You might like their Men's Freeride or Spearhead.
oldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

The more research I do on board shape the more confused I get.

Seems like there are a ton more CRC boards than RCR boards.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: recommendations for a freeride board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanto23 View Post
The more research I do on board shape the more confused I get.

Seems like there are a ton more CRC boards than RCR boards.
If you flat base at high speeds, rocker between your feet can make the ride more squirrelly then camber I believe. But if you carve, even at high speeds, the side cut plays just as an important of a role as the profile. CRC boards are fine for carving at speed.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
If you flat base at high speeds, rocker between your feet can make the ride more squirrelly then camber I believe. But if you carve, even at high speeds, the side cut plays just as an important of a role as the profile. CRC boards are fine for carving at speed.
I'm not a fast rider, I want something more playful and agile then my full camber board.

I was going to go to like a 155cm board and a hybrid setup, but I'm just confused on which to go for.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd throw the capita BSOD into the mix.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote