Picking out a setup for a girl, need advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
twofootonin

Default Picking out a setup for a girl, need advice

I've got a set of Flow Amp 2 bindings picked out for my fiancee, that was the easy part since we're both partial to flows. I'm still looking for a board, though, and I'm pretty much set on the M4 Vamp 146. She's 5'1" 105 lbs so the 146 is a lot of board, and everyone's telling me I should go no larger than the 140 but she got me an M4 155 for my birthday a few years back and I can't find anything smaller than that for a reasonable price. There's straight up nothing local and all the online sites have are 146 cm plus, it seems.

I'm also looking at a set of white thirty two lashed boots. I just want to make sure that the boots are the right size because the last time she got boots we had to rent another pair because they weren't sized right.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Um why don't you take her in and fit her for boots so she doesn't have to rent?
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
twofootonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Um why don't you take her in and fit her for boots so she doesn't have to rent?
Because it's for her birthday and I want it to be a surprise.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

the worst surprise you could get her is a pair of boots that dont fit well. ur best bet is to buy the board and bindings cuz that is something you can pick out without her, and then give her those on her birthday with like a certificate for boots or somethin, then take her in and get her fitted. trust me, she will be MUCH happier in the end
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
twofootonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
the worst surprise you could get her is a pair of boots that dont fit well. ur best bet is to buy the board and bindings cuz that is something you can pick out without her, and then give her those on her birthday with like a certificate for boots or somethin, then take her in and get her fitted. trust me, she will be MUCH happier in the end
You're absolutely right, it's just tough to find a good board-and-bindings deal, when there are so many board-boots-bindings deals out there. Ya know?

Thanks for the tip. You partial to any online stores, with my intentions in mind?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You don't want the Blue that board is fucking overkill now. I'll second the Fallen Angel is a great board for someone beginer to intermediate for all mountain use.

Get a gift certificate, boots are hands down the most important piece of gear. Its people like you that pay people like me lots of money to fix problems when you buy your significant other boots that don't work for them. Seriously I think half my business last winter was just doing boot work on peoples boots that were in the same situation.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
IrocBayou

You really don't want to up and buy her boots without knowing her size and preference. When I first started snowboarding I was in some Burton Progressions and I HATED them but he got them for me for free. It made riding much more difficult because they weren't what I needed. I tried a bunch of stuff out and found out that I actually like a MUCH more stiff boot. Since I got a boot that I picked out, my riding has been much better overall.

Also, if she's 5'1" and 105 lbs. I wouldn't go more than 143. Ever. I'm 5' flat, weigh 100 lbs and I ride a 138/139. I can ride a 137 and up to a 141 on powder days but anything more/less than those and I feel I have little-no control.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
agreco3

sounds like a gift certificate to an afternoon at a snowboard shop is the way to go. thanks for the hint.