Beginner Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Beginner Advice

Hey all, I'm hoping someone (or a few people) can help out with some snowboard advice for a newbie snowboarder?

Basic stats: 5'10" 220lb (fat bastard) size 9.5US. I've had three lessons plus a week spent on a snowboard. I can go, stop and link turns plus the usual stuff like catching a chair lift. I can generally complete a run without a face plant, although it can happen and is usually due to catching an edge at the wrong time. My experience so far has only been on piste using a rental. I have been skiing for years though.

After spending a week on a snowboard and loving it, I'm looking to buy one this year. My family and I are heading to Whistler in early December for a couple of weeks and while I'm over there I wanted to take the opportunity to buy a snowboard, boots and bindings (considerably cheaper than in AU). I haven't got a set budget, I'm just looking for some quality gear that will do the job for say 3 seasons, and something that will see me through the beginner level and into intermediate. I'm unlikely to spend all day in the park but I do intend to try and have some fun with ollies, getting a bit of air, rails etc., so I figure an all mountain/freeride board is probably the go.

I hope I have included enough info. If not, let me know.

I know it's a case of different strokes for different folks, and it's unlikely there will be a definitive answer, I guess I'm more after a couple of recommendations or things to look for when I'm presented with option in the store.

Thanks in advance.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
tehyeti

just buy something cheap , used stuff will do , and comfortable boots
Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There's a plethora of shops up there with a lot of knowledable people you should just go talk to them and see who will offer you the best deal.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
There's a plethora of shops up there with a lot of knowledable people you should just go talk to them and see who will offer you the best deal.
Thanks. I intend to do that but I like to have some idea of what I'm looking for before I walk in.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for that. It has given me some basic knowledge to work with.

Is there a standard stiffness rating across manufacturers? I know Burton have a "feel" rating (or something similar) but I suspect it's a bit different.

Is the length of the board important when considering the weight of the rider or is stiffness the main factor?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The rocker reference begs the question of where rocker boards fit into the equation? Do they have a specific purpose or advantage?

I notice lib tech are touting their banana tech (and MTX), which I assume is rocker. They say it suits just about everybody and every style, but it seems like a freestyle thing to me.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
BadMojo

I didn't read all the comments, so sorry if this has been said, but blow more on bindings than you think you need. I recommend the Rome Targas, high quality + mad tweakability = years of riding w/o compromising.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ok, I've been doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks, researching boards and such, but I still have a few questions, the first of which is what is the actual relationship between rider weight and board length? Is it edge related, as in more effective edge and therefore better able to hold an edge for a heavier rider? I can understand the weight/length thing giving more float in pow, but I'm not so sure this holds for groomers.

If the weight is related to effective edge, do other factors, like MTX/BTX, affect the weight/board length relationship. From what I understand MTX holds a edge better, so can you get away with a short board with MTX (or BTX) than you can with a conventional design, or is it just not worth worrying about?

Most of the boards I looked at are mid-flex (5-6) rating. It's unlikely I'll be travelling 100mph with my hair on fire, so is this ok, or should I look for something stiffer?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default handy website

just a tip, i used spadout.com to find what website had the cheapest price, i just bought a 08 burton custom for 250, origionally 500, i dont mind that its last years basically just different design
mtmgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

/bump - anyone?