New Gear - It's been a while - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Gear - It's been a while

So I haven't had new gear since high school and all my gear is broken or really old and worn down. Unfortunately, I haven't been following the gear pretty much at all for several years. I don't want to spend a fortune because I really don't go that often anymore but when I do go, I want some decent gear.

Weight: 155lbs
Boot size: 9
Riding style (do you like to charge steeps? Spin 7's/9's, ride groomers?):
Mostly groomers, some powder, off the trail, a little park. I would break it down as the following:
70% groomers
20% off the trail/powder
10% park
Mostly a freerider I think?
Regular stance
150-155 CM range?
Age (are you still growing and puttin on weight?): Nope. Pretty stable. 25 years old. 155 lbs. 5 10"
budget (if you have one): Nothing outrageous but nothing too cheap either
Your location of riding: Utah mountains - mostly Snowbird, Brighton with some Solitude and Park City resorts here and there
Experience: Experienced rider. Definitely not a noob but I certainly don't go as often as I used to. Grew up getting a season pass every year and going 2-3 times a week. I can ride anything pretty well. Now I ride probably 4-5 times a year. Nothing outrageous like before but I like to get up a few times a year.

My question is, I am really out of touch with the gear now. I've read up on the different styles, models, reviews, camber vs rocker, etc, but I can't seem to find many decent reviews for some gear that I would want. The most I can find is like 1 review here and there.

I'm guessing by what I have said above that I need something a little bit stiffer and with camber an all mountain or freeride board.

Looking for a new board, bindings, and boots. Nothing super expensive, but nothing cheap either. I would be okay with something from last season even. My gear right now is completely worn out and and anything new should be an improvement. Anyone have some good suggestions I can look into?

Thanks!
powdaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thoughts on these boards?
Rossignol Taipan
Burton Barracuda
Burton Custom Flying V
Saloman Villian
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

You're probably going to want traditional camber since that's what you're accustomed to riding, and will not require any new learning curve as the new camber shapes handle differently. Not a big deal if you're riding more frequently than 4-5 times a year, but if you're only riding occasionally, stick with what you're used to.

Alternatively, you could consider a cam-rock shape which has some camber in the middle with outside rocker. This shape rides much more like traditional camber and won't be anything too unexpected for ya.

On that note, the Signal Omni is a killer board.

I'm not familiar with the villian but it is a freestyle board and definitely not what you want. The Custom Flying V is going to be weirdly unstable I'd stay away from it. The Barracuda is more of a freeride/pow board I think. Not familiar with the Rossi Taipan but the Rossi One Magtek has the cam-rock shape I think, and that would probably suit your riding style.

Leo reviewed the One Magtek here.

Here's my take on the Signal Omni.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdaTime View Post
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thoughts on these boards?
Rossignol Taipan
Burton Barracuda
Burton Custom Flying V
Saloman Villian
I only know Burton stuff, others can comment on the rest.

Barracuda is a tapered directional powder board, so I'd rule it out given you ride only 20% powder at most.

Burton custom is a great all around board which for someone who is a good rider would be a good choice. If it's icy where you ride or if you like to really charge and carve then get the camber version or consider custom X which is extra stiff, if it's not often icy, and you're more of a have fun roaming around the mountain you might like the flying V, which has a looser skateyier feel.

A medium price binding from burton like missions or cartels would also work pretty well.

To save on cost you could probably find these items starting to go on sale now, or discounted last year's stuff, or used.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Burton Custom is a badass camber board if you want to stick with that. If you want to check out hybrid shapes I prefer camber/rocker/camber. That type of shape will have better float in pow than the camber decks you have been riding and will still rip it up on groomers. Never Summer SL or Proto, Lib Tech TRS, or a Gnu Rider's Choice would all fit the bill nicely. You can find all of this stuff on sale right now on line and maybe even at your local shop.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You have to get to a demo day so you can try out all the new hybrid camber profiles and new bindings.

You are asking a very open ended question with hundreds of possible answers. I think it would be better if you got some ideas in your head from a demo day and we could help narrow it down for you.

I can tell you that is seems you would prefer a middle of the road directional-twin board, unless you never ride switch, so in that case a directional board. I know more about Neversummer and Lib Tech so I'll throw out a few from there but there are tons of options and you really need to explore a bit. From NS I would say the SL ( but Cobra if you want a stiffer directional ride that does better in pow) and from Lib I would say Jamie Lynn Phoenix Classic, which has just a tiny bit of rocker inbetween the bindings and will ride more like a camber board... or the regular Jamie Lynn if you want a bit more float, it just has some more rocker than the classic.

Since you are in Utah I really think you should be looking at hybrid shapes if you are looking at a single board for all conditions, since they can still charge but are better in powder than similar shaped camber boards.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll try and demo some of these at my local shop if possible.

Anyone know where I can get any 2012 boards online? I'm thinking maybe I'll get last years model and save some money, especially since I'm only going 4-5 times a year nowadays.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The 2012 Taipan 156 is available at evo.com for $125.

I only mention it because you list it earlier.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

One thing to mention from your initial post is, based on the type of riding you do you're more of an all-mountain rider. Freeride is different, means that you spend the majority of your time off piste, in powder, trees, chutes, drops, etc. etc. etc.

So a mid flex all mountain board would likely be a good board for you. I second the Burton Custom camber in the Burton line. It's been around forever because it's just a good camber board with relatively no frills. I just picked one up for horsing around on and it feels fun. It'll never be a race board but for groomer cruising it's great.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anyone know what the Burton "restricted" line is?

I've been looking for a brand new Burton Custom 2012. Brand new, save some money on the 2012 and it looks like a pretty solid camber board that would fit my style. Anyone know a good site to get 2012 boards at besides eBay?

I see a lot of the "Burton Custom Restricted" boards online. Are the Burton Custom Restricted boards the same as the Burton Custom boards? If not, what is the difference? Why are they called "restricted"?

Also, when you say it will never be a race board, it will still be solid enough to cruise down groomers and most everything else, right? I'm not going to be racing this thing but I still want a good amount of speed. Also, being in Utah, we do get a fair amount of powder days here, but it's mostly groomers. Very little ice here compared to other states.

Also, yes, I am more of an all-mountain rider now I guess with some freeride and a small amount of park here and there.