Too much overhang? Pics included - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much overhang? Pics included

So I posted another thread two days ago about a wide vs regular board for me. I decided I'd like to give the regular width board a try. You can see that other thread here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-board-me.html

I set up my bindings and boots and measured my overhang again. Looks like just under an inch on the front foot, and just under 1.3 inches on the back foot. Boots are up pretty high with toe ramps and the bindings are as far back as they will go. 18 up front, -15 in the back. I think I'm going to spring for a pair of reduced footprint boots anyway (going to try and fit a 10.5 boot, with a reduced footprint) because of a great sale going on. These boots are a size 11, no shrinkage.

The heels are less than an inch overhang.

So what do you guys think? It looks like I'd have to be doing some deep carving to toe drag with this set up, I'm mostly riding hard pack fyi, not much pow here on the east coast.

Can't seem to get the embed feature to work. Here is the link to the photo stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93372663@N05/

Last edited by LucaTheDamaja; 02-20-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Trying to get images to embed.
LucaTheDamaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

You'll be fine. No problems at all.
firlefranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That's def not ideal, but certainly do-able. Is the boot centered over the board? It looks like there is too much toe overhang. If you could slide the bindings more toward the heel and extend the toe ramp they should help. And the straps is really too far up off the toe. You should be able to cap that over the front with some adjustment.

I'd also recommend extending the straps so only an inch of the ladder is showing when it's tightned all the way.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
That's def not ideal, but certainly do-able. Is the boot centered over the board? It looks like there is too much toe overhang. If you could slide the bindings more toward the heel and extend the toe ramp they should help. And the straps is really too far up off the toe. You should be able to cap that over the front with some adjustment.

I'd also recommend extending the straps so only an inch of the ladder is showing when it's tightned all the way.
The binding is as far back as it can go. Boot is pushed in as far back as it can go. The toe strap can be used as over the toe or over the top, I still need to play around with the straps and will definitely work to adjust the ladder. Toe ramps are extended all the way.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow to discuss the set up with them before I ride the board. Also going to look into reduced footprint boots while there.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaTheDamaja View Post
The binding is as far back as it can go. Boot is pushed in as far back as it can go. The toe strap can be used as over the toe or over the top, I still need to play around with the straps and will definitely work to adjust the ladder. Toe ramps are extended all the way.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow to discuss the set up with them before I ride the board. Also going to look into reduced footprint boots while there.

Thanks for the insight.
I think the only problem you'll have is with the bindings. I ride a 24.8 waist width with a 10.5 and have no problems with overhang with my boot centered. You can def ride a 25.2 with an 11. You just have to get a binding that will fit both the boot and the board.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaTheDamaja View Post

Thanks for the insight.
Then I think your bindings are too small, here is a pic of too much over hang. Also if those toe straps are like the K2 Cinch Tryst, they are a pain in the ass over the toe, so my wife just uses is over the foot. I would go with more heel over hang over more toe over hang. I caught my toe in this setup and went flying while carving hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.8 KB, 168 views)
edlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I think the only problem you'll have is with the bindings. I ride a 24.8 waist width with a 10.5 and have no problems with overhang with my boot centered. You can def ride a 25.2 with an 11. You just have to get a binding that will fit both the boot and the board.
Solid points, these boots are 5 seasons old, I'm assuming boot sizes have gotten a little smaller over the years, so hoping to avoid a new binding set up while getting a smaller footprint boot. I'll be able to compare in store tomorrow. These are size L k2 Hurrithane bindings btw.

Again thanks for the help. Buying a board is a lot harder when you're older and factor in all the specifics haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlo View Post
Then I think your bindings are too small, here is a pic of too much over hang. Also if those toe straps are like the K2 Cinch Tryst, they are a pain in the ass over the toe, so my wife just uses is over the foot. I would go with more heel over hang over more toe over hang. I caught my toe in this setup and went flying while carving hard.

Thanks for the insight. They are K2 bindings and K2 straps. I don't think I'll be going over the toe cap, like you noted they seem better suited for going over the foot.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Boots are the most important thing, if you like your boots buy new binding. Just because they are old doesn't mean they are bad.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlo View Post
WTF? Is that a strap on a contraband?
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
WTF? Is that a strap on a contraband?
Yup Franken binding, cinch contraband . The toe strap is trivial and there as a spare.