Beginner Looking to buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Beginner Looking to buy

Weight: 160
Height: 5,9
Budget: ~$250-500

I used to ski however i recently tried snowboarding last time i went to the resort and i LOVED it. I am still learning to link my turns and I am looking for a good board to start off with. I was looking at the Burton Clash because I think it might be half off at a local store near me, i think the size they have is 151 not sure if that is too small either. However, I want to get some input before i go out and buy. I just want something that has nice control. I enjoy going down the mountain more than doing tricks when I ski.

Also how much do boots and bindings matter and how much should you spend on those?

Last edited by novokaine; 02-20-2013 at 01:35 PM.
novokaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

buy boots first...they are the most important....spend your money there

since ur a skiier, get at least an intermediate board...a beginner board you will quickly progress beyond its capicity or try to find a used in good condition higher end board (money better spent imho)...it might beat you up for a bit...just take ibuprofen.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I learned on a clash and liked it. You'll want something better when you start to get better but I had no regrets buying my clash.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I should specify I am a beginner skier. this was my first season ski'ing.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by novokaine View Post
I should specify I am a beginner skier. this was my first season ski'ing.
oh...nevermind....but boots first!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, boots first and take your time finding the right ones!

As for boards: In my opinion the K2 Raygun is an amazing beginner's board that you won't outgrow too quickly. Also it is very decently priced. Pick a 153 or 156. I'd prefer the latter.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Yes, boots first and take your time finding the right ones!
How do i know if they are the right ones?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novokaine View Post
How do i know if they are the right ones?
Make sure it fits snug, no pressure points, has the support your comfortable with, no heel lift ect... Try them on as much possible and see if they work for your foot. You will most likely be trying on a few pairs until *that* boot just fits right... You'll know.
zoom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

They should be very snug because they will pack out when riding. Your toes should touch the end of the boot while standing up and not touch them when you bend you knees. If your heel lifts it's the wrong boot. Heel lift is the worst. Of course they should be comfortable too but some pairs just take a few days to get comfy.

Make sure you go to a specialized store if you have one around and they will help you find the right pair. Don't buy online without trying them on first.

Last edited by Basti; 02-21-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I posted this somewhere else but can't find it right now. I used to work in a shop and fit a lot if people for a board, boots, and bindings. Here is what I suggested all the time and it used to help a lot.

1) buy boots first and take your time picking them out. This is the single most important piece of equipment you need since you have to wear them for eight to ten hours sometimes. Go to a shop and try on as many pairs as you can from different companies too. Just because one boot fit one way don't assume another will fit similar. Go for a mid range boot, not too stiff but not overly soft either. Let your feet decide which is the best and don't stress about dropping extra scratch here, it's well worth it later.

2) next pick out bindings that fit your boots very well. A good rule of thumb is if you buy burton boots burton bindings will fit them best. But other will fit just as well too. But make sure it a good fit and again you can spend here because you can recycle them later to another board. Get a mid flex binding again not too stiff but not too soft used for park either. A good set of bindings could end up on three or four boards over their lifetime.

3) finally pick your board with the remaining money you have. This is the most disposable of your equipment because its the only one that comes in contact to with the snow, rocks, dirt, and other boards and skis. So you will replace this sooner. So make sure you buy something in your weight range first time out and maybe slightly longer too. This will let you ride pow, and give you good stability as you learn. You can size down later once you get better and figure out where you want your skills to progress.

Now I know I'm going to catch shit for this but I would steer clear of Burton EST boards for now. They are expensive, and you will have to buy EST bindings that will only work with a Channel Board. I say this so later if you decide you want to try out one if the many other board companies out there you can use your current bindings to do so. You can always buy adapter plates to put them on an EST board but an EST binding can only use a channel board. This way you leave your options open.

Good luck buying and pick wisely, listen to the shop employees advice and you should be able to get hooked up with good setup that will keep you going for a few seasons.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote