Help me select a board por favor... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me select a board por favor...

Hi guys! I posted this question in the "Introduce Yourself" category and got two really helpful answers, but was hoping for a few more thoughts, so I figured I'd post here as well since it's more specific to my question...so pardon any redundancy.

I'm a beginner snowboarder (going for my fourth day trip this Sunday) and I'm planning to head over to buy my first snowboard later today so I can learn without constantly switching up equipment. I've narrowed it down to two choices: the Arbor Poparazzi and the Arbor Cadence.

The saleswoman at the sporting goods store insisted that the Cadence was a park board, and was very adamant that the Poparazzi was the better board for me. I've also read that the Poparazzi is pure all mountain, which is generally a good place to start, while the Cadence is a park board.

At this point in my snowboarding experience, I'm not looking to do tricks or jumps or anything crazy. I just want a board that is easy to control even when my form is a little off (turn, etc.) but which isn't a complete speed demon. I'm also on the East Coast and do most of my riding in the Catskills, which means things can be pretty icy, so that's a factor as well.

I'm leaning towards the Cadence (mostly because the design is SICK but also because I've read/heard that it's a bit easier to ride than the Poparazzi) but I'm wondering whether there are any disadvantages to a beginner using the Cadence purely to go down the slopes for the time being. Any other thoughts or opinions welcome!

Danke!
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

They both look like they'd be solid options. At this point in your development it's not going to make a huge difference, but you want a board you can progress on. I would think they'd both be pretty forgiving and easy to learn on. The issue with getting a board that is too soft or forgiving as a first board is that it can reinforce bad habits in your riding. Also, as you start to progress and go faster the cadence is going to be less stable at speed. It's a tradeoff and is ultimately up to you and what you feel you can be stoked on.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, they're both good options but the Poparazzi will probably keep you happy longer because it is more versatile. Once you get comfortable and try higher speeds it will be more stable and help you be more confident. Both will be plenty forgiving and nice to learn on being rockered boards but the Poparazzi will help you find out what kind of riding you will want to do once you progress because it simply can do more all around the mountain and outside the park.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can't go wrong with either of them.

I'm I Cadence owner and I ride it all over the mountain. It's a light board and it's really easy to turn.

The Poparazzi is a great board too. The Cadence is a true-twin if you want to ride switch. The Poparazzi I think is a 'directional-twin', so it's more geared toward riding 1 direction. It's really not a big deal though. The Poparazzi is slightly stiffer which makes it a bit better for high speed.

The choice is yours!
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm glad I joined this forum! I ended up going with the Cadence for now. I'll be back with numerous other questions, I assure you!
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote