So this sucks... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So this sucks...

i went into the shop the other day to get new boots cuz my old ones didnt work for me (they were too flexible and had no response), and the shop guy says alot of what is causing my problem is the fact that my feet are so small compared to my height that boots that will fit my foot are too short for my leg and dont come high enough on my shin to provide enough support. Im 5'9" weigh about 150 and my current boots are size 6.5 solomons. Is this notion of boots being too short for me complete bullshit or do i actually have a serious problem on my hands?

if i do have something to be worried about, does anyone know if certain boots tend to run taller than others and could you recommend any brands that would fit me best? thanks!
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Depends how long is your tibia and fibia? There's times I've put a boot on and been like woah this thing goes up to my knee wtf. But for the most part boot size relates to how the cuff is going to fit.

When you're in a boot is your calf muscle bulging way over the top of the cuff or is it flush with the back of the calf muscle.

Its really hard to diagnose the problem without seeing your legs and boots on. In all the boots I've fit over the last few years I haven't run into this problem so I'd say its rather rare and the dude that diagnosed it had to either be like 100% a boot expert or 100% lying out his ass.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

so i tried on my boots again and did a few measurements. the length of my entire lower leg from my knee to my heel is about 20 inches. The boot cuff only comes up about 9 inches on my leg. The cuff of the boot ends right at the base of my calf muscle, so the boot does not actually cover any part of the calf muscle
Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thats how you want it to fit. You don't want it going over the calf muscle otherwise when you go to drive forward its going to be strenious. You also don't want it to far below the calf muscle that when you drive the boot forward it just crumples.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok thats good news. however i think that some of the crumpling effect was happening with these boots because they werent stiff so im gonna try getting some stiffer boots and hopefully everything will work out. thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was just reading this and noticed that both my boots and a measuring tape were both within reach.

I'm 6'2" with a size 10 boot.

The length from the floor (bare feet) to the back of my knee is 21".

The interior height of my boot is about 10 inches.

I can imagine that your smaller boot would be smaller all around (including height), so a 9 inch height on a size 6.5 makes sense.

I just can't see an inch shorter been dramatically different. Sure, there might be more flex due to the increase in leverage, but dramatically more?

Try stiffer boots.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote