Is the Never Summer the board for me? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you want a Cobra. Nimble, floats, and great versatility.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Cobra is a good board. Might not live up to all the hype it received (especially on this forum), but as a one-board all-mountain quiver killer it can be a great choice. Like with any do-all board, there are some compromises and it is a bit of a 'Jack of many trades and master of none'. My main concern with recommending it actually is that it can encourage/reinforce some bad riding habits, so it is better suited for at least intermediate riders who are aware of technique issues and/or or people who are getting coaching/lessons.
The tail whips around really easily. Hell I knew it does, and try not to, but I still whip it around.

If you know this is a bad habit it's actually good at training you to really use that front foot to lead the turn.

Unless of course a tree is coming at you then whip that tail around.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
The tail whips around really easily. Hell I knew it does, and try not to, but I still whip it around.

If you know this is a bad habit it's actually good at training you to really use that front foot to lead the turn.

Unless of course a tree is coming at you then whip that tail around.
The Heritage is really pivoty like this as well. Hated it on my first few runs on the board, now I love it.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
nmk

Damn Damn Damn....
Now I looked further into the Cobra and it seems to be an interesting board...

Shaved tail for easier turns on the steeps
Good edge hold
Easy turn
Fast edge to edge
Good in POW
Stable on crud / groomers / straights
Can carve

Does it hold an edge on ice?

Ok.... this really sucks... In the old days, choices were limited, life was easy. This is also one reason why I look outside of Burton because the current line up is just way too confusing.

I still want to ride my X8 whenever I can but for Crud Days, Icy Days, night skiing, I want to replace my SuperModeX.... I feel I am back to square one. I had it down to the Heritage... but now the Cobra??? BTW, really like the Heritage graphics and not very big on the Cobra graphics but in the end, the right board is more important.... At least now I think I know the size I need... 155

Please chime in....
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
The Heritage is really pivoty like this as well. Hated it on my first few runs on the board, now I love it.
It is actually somewhat different from the Heritage in that respect. Of course it likes to pivot on the rocker - pretty much the same that way. But in addition, on the Cobra you really have to work the weight distribution and edge pressure throughout the turn in order to keep the tail in line - Heritage is much more 'set it and forget it'.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you have no urge at all to ride switch then get a fully directional board like the Cobra instead of the Heritage which is a directional-twin.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
If you have no urge at all to ride switch then get a fully directional board like the Cobra instead of the Heritage which is a directional-twin.
I would not let that be the sole determinant of my decision between the Cobra and the Heritage.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

What about a premier? Fast board. Quick edge to edge and quite damp. Definitely a freeride board but not quite as stiff as the Raptor. Don't know how stiff you wanna go. And the graphics on the premier I think are really good.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
nmk

I did give the Premier a thought but my days with stiff boards are done. I used to do only groomers and I just loved my CustomX! Bang into the turn and get bounced out and set into the next, great fun. Held perfect on crud and icy conditions. Great carves. But now moving on with age, need something less aggressive, more playful.

Looks like I will wait for 2014 Cobra because I really find it difficult to like the current artwork. Wish I can just rent one for the week in March when I am in SLC!

I am 160 lbs., the 153 will be more fun but will it be that much less in stability and chatter than the 155? Only 2cm......
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
I did give the Premier a thought but my days with stiff boards are done. I used to do only groomers and I just loved my CustomX! Bang into the turn and get bounced out and set into the next, great fun. Held perfect on crud and icy conditions. Great carves. But now moving on with age, need something less aggressive, more playful.

Looks like I will wait for 2014 Cobra because I really find it difficult to like the current artwork. Wish I can just rent one for the week in March when I am in SLC!

I am 160 lbs., the 153 will be more fun but will it be that much less in stability and chatter than the 155? Only 2cm......
How old are you?
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote