Is the Never Summer the board for me? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
I did give the Premier a thought but my days with stiff boards are done. I used to do only groomers and I just loved my CustomX! Bang into the turn and get bounced out and set into the next, great fun. Held perfect on crud and icy conditions. Great carves. But now moving on with age, need something less aggressive, more playful.

Looks like I will wait for 2014 Cobra because I really find it difficult to like the current artwork. Wish I can just rent one for the week in March when I am in SLC!

I am 160 lbs., the 153 will be more fun but will it be that much less in stability and chatter than the 155? Only 2cm......
Im 155lbs and ride a 155 Cobra and its a ton of fun. Rent one when your in SLC:

Try One | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories - Powered by CLVR TV
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
nmk

Thanks for the link. I'll give Christy Sport Snowbird a buzz and see if the have the Cobra 155 as rental... In mid March. I will bring my X8 and SuperModelX with me but if they have the 155..... My 2 Burtons might just stay in the bag all week. I also read great stuff about the Infinity, maybe I'll pick one up for my wife.... Really great graphics this year.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'll give Christy Sport Snowbird a buzz and see if the have the Cobra 155 as rental... In mid March. I will bring my X8 and SuperModelX with me but if they have the 155..... My 2 Burtons might just stay in the bag all week. I also read great stuff about the Infinity, maybe I'll pick one up for my wife.... Really great graphics this year.
I grabbed an infinity for my Fiancee this year an she loves it!!!
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
nmk

My wife, like me, is also riding the X8 but for crud days she has a Vapor. From what I have read about the Infinity, it should be able to do it all and in style with with great looking graphics.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Looks like I will wait for 2014 Cobra because I really find it difficult to like the current artwork. Wish I can just rent one for the week in March when I am in SLC!
Could get a nice decal/vinyl warp to cover the snake if it bothers you that much...

Quote:
I am 160 lbs., the 153 will be more fun but will it be that much less in stability and chatter than the 155? Only 2cm......
Definitely get at least the 155. I am 150lbs and ride the 155 - have not had a single moment where wanted the 153, but plenty of times (high speed riding, deep pow) when I was wishing I had the 158...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 for the cobra, what you wrote in the first post has cobra written all over it.

Very solid carving ability and easy smooth turn initiation.

Good for jumps as long as you don't land switch (and you don't).

You will have a blast in the powder its is superb for a non pow specific deck.

Graphics are not a big deal but as others said stickers can solve this.

Get the 155 at least, if you plan to hit lots of deep pow or do lots of high speed steeps get a 158.

This board is light and nimble. I am 175 and ride the 158. You could go either way depending on how you like to ride.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #37 (permalink)
nmk

Thanks for the input. I had 159 T6 & 158 CustomX, loved them both. Fast and stable but now looking for a bit more playfulness. Looks like the 155 will be the compromise.

Stickers.... Hmmm.... Can be an idea. I'll wait for Christy Sport to reply first about the rental and see how it goes.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
nmk

Hi All,

Quick update...

Just came back from one great week at Snowbird, UT. We had it all, started the week with cold, crappy windy & icy conditions, then hard pack and then the good stuff started to fall and it was great pow for 4 days straight with over 8" on the ground the night before our last day of riding!

On the first day I went to Christy Sport to rent the NS Cobra, in hindsight, I should have waited... Conditions were seriously windy, cold, hard pack, ice & crud. I had my concerns about a Rocker/Camber setup....

The Cobra is one great looking board. I loved the carbon non-slip top sheet, no step pad needed and surprisingly, no fiberglass burns... The weight felt about middle of the pack, not heavy not light. They had some rental bindings which didn't look feather weight.

Given the nasty conditions, the Cobra performed well. Very strange was on the cat tracks when I felt the board was about to go squiggly, then all of a sudden, it straightens itself... I guess giving it a slight more front foot bias will bring the front end down and straighten out the ride. I never felt this with my Burton X8, also a RC board. It was a clear 'snap' back to straight-line feeling, very strange.

Also, there were times, at the bottom of a steep section as the groomer leveled off and I was riding flat, strong gusts of side wind will actually push me enough so that I am riding forward... diagonally. I never had this before, maybe it is the RC not giving me enough base surface area on the snow or just the given nasty conditions?

By early afternoon, I decided to give the cambered Raptor a try. Christy Sport, which 'supposedly' has the largest NS rental fleet and 'supposedly' has every NS model in stock for rent.... had ONLY the Cobra from NS, no Raptor, no other NS but the Cobra. So it was back to my Burton SuperModelX. The rental guy tried to get me to go with a Ride, but I declined.

My overall impression was that the Cobra can be a fantastic board in soft pack and powder conditions but as for me, riding in the Alps where icy conditions, crud & hard pack (boiler plate?) are often the case, maybe my old trusty camber style board is a better all-round board? Possible the few hours on the crap conditions were not enough to give the Cobra justice. I should have gone back for another try when the white fluff was falling, maybe next year....

On the powder days, I did see many people ride the Cobra and ripping up the slopes so, there must be something to this board!