The Cliche "What do I buy?" Thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Glyko

Default The Cliche "What do I buy?" Thread

Hey all -

Been browsing the site a bit, really amped for the upcoming season.

I used to board a decent amount, but I was a young teen, and like many of my other hobbies, snowboarding was short-lived. I never got very good, but always found a way to have fun on the mountain (isn't that what it's all about?).

Anyway, last winter, I started riding again, although I didn't get to go too much...maybe 5 or 6 times. I've been concentrating on freeriding, hitting a few small jumps (mostly falling), and just enjoying long runs down the mountain. This season, I want to concentrate a little bit more on trick riding, get more pop out of my jumps, and hopefully hit the park a few times.

Right now, I'm riding a Limited Enduro Wide 159, with Burton FS bindings and Ride boots - I'm pretty sure it was a beginner's package set up for me by someone at a ski shop when I was a kid, but I don't really recall...like I said, it was about 6-7 years ago.

I'm a bigger guy than most riders I see on the mountain - 5'10", 225 lbs. I know I'll probably need a wider, bigger board than most, but I'm still not really sure as to what's my best bet. Most buying guides I've found on the internet are general and vague at best, and don't really help too much.

So what do you guys think? I'm looking for something in terms of brand, size, etc. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Can't wait to ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Glyko

No replies - Maybe a little more info would help?

I'm an East Coast (CT) rider. For the most part I ride local mountains - places like Catamount, Hunter, etc.

Don't need anything crazy high-end, but wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money to get something that is nice and will last. Budget's not really too much of an issue, but I'd like to keep it within reason.

For the most part, I see snowboarding as just a fun time - not looking to go into any competitions or anything like that, not really trying to push the limit too hard. But I would love to learn how to hit some decent jumps and grind rails and such. I've sort of accepted the fact that it's gonna be pretty tough for me just cause I'm a bigger guy.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had those bindings back in 98.

First off man get some new boots that is the most important piece of equipment you will ever own. Go to a reputable shop, I'm assuming you're in the Central NY area which means you have some decent shops near you that should be having sales.

Once we know you're boot size we can tell you what boards to look at.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Glyko

Thanks for the replies guys

My boots now are tight on me - I've known this, but like I said I stopped riding for a while...I sorta just dealt with them being super tight on me and my feet hurting the next day. They're Size 10. I wear a size 11.5 shoe generally.

Burton, I'm in the Upper Westchester/Fairfield County, CT area. 50 miles north of NYC. Ski Haus is the biggest place around here I think.

MPD, thanks for the advice, but I'm prety set on getting some new equipment this year. It'll encourage me to go a lot more often, for one, and I mean, like I said, I was fitted and everything for all this stuff about seven years ago. I think I'm overdue, if anything.

I think I could stick that jump in the video you showed, but I wouldn't get gnarly on it or anything. I dunno. I get more nervous than anything else. It's a lot of weight coming down, haha.

BTW, I love the Dead, nice bears :P
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
sisuck

New boots is a must. Make sure you have your foot measured so you can get the most accurate sizing and fit possible, since it's been so long since you've gotten a new pair.

Are you able to make it any sale events that take place in your area? There are a lot that go on, and you can find some really good deals. You don't really need to spend a ton if you're just looking to update your equipment into something current, especially in the skill range you're referring to.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Glyko

I'll check out some Vans boots, and make sure I get measured for my right size.

Beyond that, what brand of boards/bindings do you guys think I should be looking at? I want a quality product, you know?

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Best boot is the one that fits your foot. Everyone can recommend it from behind their arm chair on here but until they have your foot in their face it does nothing. Get sized up properly I'm an 11 shoe and in a 10 boot and probably should just go down to a 9.5. Its all how much performance you want from your boot.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
sisuck

^SO true. What works for everyone is totally different, as we all have different foot types. The best fitting boots for me have always been Vans and Salomon because they are narrow in the heelcup and slightly wider in the front of the boot. But they just fit my foot good, and I have always gotten the response and comfort I enjoy out of them. Avenger is right though, what works for one, may not always work for another, you have to try different things out.

Glyko, there are also many companies out there that make good equipment. Let me let my brain see what it can muster up for you in regards to what you've already described. Anything you can go into more depth about is always helpful, I know you described your riding style/experience a little bit, but what exactly is the full extent? When you say you want to get into the park more, do you want to be hitting 20 ft tabletops? Or just cruisin in the progression park? Any rails? Do you have any experience with any of that right now? To really be able to recommend something that will work well, the most information possible is sometimes best.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Glyko

That's what I've been hearing Burton, and I'm just hoping that when I do go shopping, I get someone to fit me who knows what they're talking about and can steer me in the right direction.

Suck: I'm trying to be as descriptive as I can, so bear with me... I'd love to get huge, but for right now I'd imagine that this season I probably won't get too far beyond the beginner phase as far as the park goes. That's fine for me, I'm just having fun with it, but I'd love to increasingly get better until I can pull some sick stuff like huge tabletops, long rails, and some respectable air. I'm realistic, though, and not expecting to be incredible overnight. Right now I can sort of ride the "training boxes" (pretty thick, easy to just cruise down), but it feels kinda sketchy anytime I try to tweak it out a little bit and get fancy. I dunno, I'm nowhere near confident enough to just ollie and stick a rail, but I'll take a straight path down a box any day. As far as my jumping skills go, I'm thinking I could 95% of the time stomp that little jump in the video someone posted earlier for example. No spins off of it or anything, but a pretty decent looking ollie with a solid landing after catching between 1-3 feet of air.

Hope I'm being descriptive enough. Thanks for keeping it coming with the replies, I appreciate it!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here's some tips to find someone thats competant. Walk in ask them what the best boot is, if they pull something off the wall and say this is it blah blah blah. Walk the fuck out they haven't even looked at your foot. Thats the best tool for finding someone that knows what the fuck they're talking about.

Just remember when you go in to get boot fitted wear your snowboard socks, wash your feet, trim those toe nails, and ask every possible question you have regardless of how dumb you think it is, its their job to help you.

For a board it just sounds like you need a nice forgiving all mountain freestyle board, especially because of where you're located.