Regular vs. Wide Burton Boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Regular vs. Wide Burton Boards

Hey I'm looking at some boards and trying to tell how much difference there is between a wide board and some of the regular boards. It seems that there really isn't much width difference between wide and regular. For example:

Burton Sherlock 162 wide: 29.7/26/29.7 centimeters
Burton Sherlock 160 reg : 29.06/25.4/29.06 centimeters
Burton Sherlock 157 reg : 28.88/25.3/28.88 centimeters

So the difference seems to be less than 1cm, right? How much difference can that really make?

Burton Custom Flying V 156: 25.3 centimeters

I tried out a Burton Process Flying V 159 (25.5cm width) this season and it seemed ok for me (although I'm still a beginner so I probably can't tell if there's a problem like toe overlap). I have a pretty big foot (size 12 or 12.5 usually), weigh 185lbs, and am 6'2". I have DC Judge BOA boots size 12.

I'm leaning towards the sherlock 162 wide but wide doesn't seem to be that much different and maybe it makes sense to get a shorter board? (buying from a place with only these sizes)

Thanks for any advice!

PS. what does everyone think about the Burton Super hero with nag raduction? Is that a viable board for me?

Last edited by mattybee; 02-22-2013 at 01:34 PM.
mattybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

i always thought wide boards were for people who had big feet to eliminate overhang. i've heard stories of people buying wide boards anyway just because it gives them better float, and i'm guess the 1cm difference probably helps, even if just a little.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wear a size 12.5 boot and that 1cm does make a big difference. 1 cm at the waist may be 1.5-2 cm's underfoot (loose example) With a 30.5 cm foot (which I have) I can definately tell the difference between 25.4 and 26.0. One i can ride just like normal the other I have to really be careful not to carve hard on.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
I wear a size 12.5 boot and that 1cm does make a big difference. 1 cm at the waist may be 1.5-2 cm's underfoot (loose example) With a 30.5 cm foot (which I have) I can definately tell the difference between 25.4 and 26.0. One i can ride just like normal the other I have to really be careful not to carve hard on.
interesting...maybe a wide board is for me. im just a little worried that 162 might be a bit long but they don't have wides for the smaller sizes at the store i want to buy from. 162 might actually be good because i like a smoother ride that's easier to carve.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

i'd imagine a 162 is HARDER carve (please correct me if i'm wrong).

weighing 155 myself, i once rode my friend's 164 board and yeah...it was a fight through every turn, but i never felt SO stable going at speed haha.

if you're buying it through a shop, leverage it and have them put the bindings you want on the board an try to strap and take a look at it. if the overhang isn't there then just get the regular width.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did the measuring and it seems I have a 28.5cm foot. I ride 15/-5.

Will that fit on the Burton Sherlock 157? I think it'd prefer going shorter but don't want toe drag
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Regular vs. Wide Burton Boards

If you definitely need a wide board I wouldn't limit yourself to just Burton boards unless there's some real good reason why. I'm a similar size to you and wear a sz 13 and I would get a wide just to be safe. I own a few wides already and I've never had toe drag before (even with a pair of too big, pre-shrinkage tech sz 14's) and there's a board I really want that isn't a wide. I never carve super hard when I am on big steeps so that might have something to do with it, and I ride a little duck stance, but still...

You may find that you're like me and if it's never an issue you could start looking at non-wides if you see a board you really like. I'm looking into a GNU Eco Genetics 162 real bad and the little 1 cm difference seems negligible to me too...
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post
If you definitely need a wide board I wouldn't limit yourself to just Burton boards unless there's some real good reason why. I'm a similar size to you and wear a sz 13 and I would get a wide just to be safe. I own a few wides already and I've never had toe drag before (even with a pair of too big, pre-shrinkage tech sz 14's) and there's a board I really want that isn't a wide. I never carve super hard when I am on big steeps so that might have something to do with it, and I ride a little duck stance, but still...

You may find that you're like me and if it's never an issue you could start looking at non-wides if you see a board you really like. I'm looking into a GNU Eco Genetics 162 real bad and the little 1 cm difference seems negligible to me too...
the problem is, i'm not sure if i need a wide board. I was on the burton process flying v 159 and it was fine...but the measurements don't seem to include width at inserts at the reference board. I'm trying to figure out if I was fine on the process at that size, would I be fine at 157 or 160 on Sherlocks or would I have to go to 162w

I just really like burton design/brand and REI has good deals on them right now.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I felt that way when i got the only non-wide board I ever rode. 1 CM at the waist makes a difference and you will notice it when you start riding. You can somewhat compensate for if by not having your boots centered but you are just making new problems by doing that.

I really regret purchasing the non-wide board i got which i decided to do after reading various forums where people said its not a big deal. It makes a difference and you will notice it. IF you ONLY do bad skidded turns you may not notice it but i would doubt it even then.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
I felt that way when i got the only non-wide board I ever rode. 1 CM at the waist makes a difference and you will notice it when you start riding. You can somewhat compensate for if by not having your boots centered but you are just making new problems by doing that.

I really regret purchasing the non-wide board i got which i decided to do after reading various forums where people said its not a big deal. It makes a difference and you will notice it. IF you ONLY do bad skidded turns you may not notice it but i would doubt it even then.
you mentioned you had a 30.5 foot..I have 28.5. do you think the reduced 2cm will make it easier for me to go with a non-wide board?