QUESTION: Burton Process Flying V 157 or V Rocker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default QUESTION: Burton Process Flying V 157 or V Rocker 159

Hello,

I live in Ontario - Canada and I just started to snowboard.

Weight: 190lb - 85kg
Height: 5'9 - 175cm
Boots size: 10
Front Leg: Lefty (I've been switching as well)

I've been renting a Burton LTR-L 153cm board. Last Sunday was my fourth time and I am a quick learner. Carved a lot and linking turns as well.

I've got to buy a board+binding because I'm really hooked now! I've got addicted to it.

I already have bought a Burton Moto Boots and RED Helmet.

Given two board options, which one would you go with?

2011 Burton Process V Rocker 159cm - $200

2013 Burton Process Flying V 157cm - $300

I would like to know your opinions if the are a good choice for me. Or any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Runner2K; 02-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Runner2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Runner:

First off welcome to the forum. Lots of info here for you to improve your knowledge base.

With regards to the boards you are considering. Living in Ontario, unless you plan on heading west on a regular basis, you are going to ride on a lot of hardpack, if not icy hardpack. Neither of the Burton boards you are considering will give you any degree of quality edge hold on such conditions. As a beginner, you will find these boards "drifting" through your turns and even as your skill level improves, these boards will always struggle to hold an edge on hardpack conditions. But don't be totally put off as in softer / powder conditions they hold their edge as well as any.

The upside is that you will find them both very forgiving, easy riding boards. As a beginner, you will enjoy either one of them as you will not hook edges as you would riding a camber board.

Given your size and the fact that you are just learning, of the two I would suggest the shorter 157 Process. Good Luck !!!!!

Last edited by Oldman; 02-22-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Hey Runner:

First off welcome to the forum. Lots of info here for you to improve your knowledge base.

With regards to the boards you are considering. Living in Ontario, unless you plan on heading west on a regular basis, you are going to ride on a lot of hardpack, if not icy hardpack. Neither of the Burton boards you are considering will give you any degree of quality edge hold on such conditions. As a beginner, you will find these boards "drifting" through your turns and even as your skill level improves, these boards will always struggle to hold an edge on hardpack conditions. But don't be totally put off as in softer / powder conditions they hold their edge as well as any.

The upside is that you will find them both very forgiving, easy riding boards. As a beginner, you will enjoy either one of them as you will not hook edges as you would riding a camber board.

Given your size and the fact that you are just learning, of the two I would suggest the shorter 157 Process. Good Luck !!!!!
Hello Oldman!

Thank you for your input!

I normally go to Glen Eden (Milton - 80% of the time) and Horse Shoe (Barrie - 20% time).

You have mentioned about the hardpack conditions. What is the snowboard that you would consider the best for these situations/conditions?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ride Mt. St. Louis Moonstone so I know what conditions you will ride on a regular basis.

For what it is worth, my recommendation to you is to go with a camber board with raised tips (RCR). With this profile you will enjoy the edge hold that camber provides but still enjoy a catch free ride due to the raised tips.

You will need to do some homework, but Jones & Rossignol are two brands that come to mind do a RCR profile. You could also look at some K2 & Ride boards as they have some Flat profile decks with raised tips that offer similar performance.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hello,

I ended up buying the 2013 Process Flying V 157 along with the Burton EST Cartel binding.

I felt only once but because I was not paying attention. The setup is really nice and it is so much better than the rental one.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Runner. Welcome to the forums

Regular at HSV here. I know I'm a bit late but just wanted to let you know I have a hybrid deck (crc with raised tips) and also a beginner/ intermediate. When I go fast, I do tend to drift a bit around some of the longer turns but nothing i cant keep under control. Considering burton has magnetraction, I wouldnt be too worried about edge hold.

I dont have any complaints for my board, and it's not a Burton

Good luck and enjoy your new board!
Optikal_Illuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

frostbite is nowhere near magne-traction
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote