Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need help choosing board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/6886-need-help-choosing-board.html)

BowserYo 09-05-2008 10:41 PM

Need help choosing board

Hi all! Im wanting to finally buy my own board... Im not a hard core snowboarder but I do enjoy hitting the slopes, and a few jumps.

So I am leaning to a burton and im looking on ebay and I see this and on "crazy snowboarder" its going for 299.99 and they say its awesome and great ect... Just wondering why it is so cheap and what you guys think I should get?

Im 5.11 165-170lb and im used to 161cm burtons that i rent when i goto 7springs..

Let me know what you guys think.

Ride_Capita 09-06-2008 01:09 AM

uhh

in my personal opinion from your stats i wouldnt recommend a board of that size. its completely up to you of course considering how cheap that board is but from what i read its going to be coming beat up and nicked. If i were in your shoes i would put in some extra money and get a new board that i could rely on heavily up to you of course.

LouG 09-06-2008 04:38 AM

The reason it is so cheap is because that is the standard model Burton sends to resorts to use as rentals.

Chances are that the company selling it bought out all of the seasons old rentals from somewhere at a super cheap price. This means that board has been ridden by countless "I have it for the week so who cares what happens to it" types.

It is my strong opinion that if you are going to make the move from renting to owning, that you do it right. Start with some sites like Dogfunk.com or pick up a copy of this sesason's buyer's guide.

Find a board that works perfectly for you and then you can start looking for deals (closeout pricing or slightly used...emphasis on slightly).

Another tip for buying your first setup, start with boots. Spend as much on boots that are perfect on your feet as necessary; this could be the cheapest or most expensive but is definitely the most important purchase you are going to make. This is because it is your feet, not the snowboard, that drive your riding.

Bindings are the second most important followed by the snowboard.

You can expect all of this to cost a reasonable amount of cash, but again if you are going to do it... do it right.

BowserYo 09-06-2008 12:42 PM

Im not really sure on my size, I had one guy get me a 161 about two years ago and ive always asked for that size from then on. what would you recomend?

Okay, now Im really glad to asked first. So you think I should goto a local store and check out there boots and find what I like/fits? should I buy from the store or online? And should I get all Burton or mix it up?

Thanks for the help.

LouG 09-06-2008 03:00 PM

At your height and weight I would tone the size down a notch. Get a board thats maybe 156-158 since you are used to bigger boards. I'm over 6' and a little heavier and I have ridden 151s. The reason why you were started on a 161 is that smaller boards are a lot less stable at high speeds but super maneuverable (carving, jumps, jibs etc.).

A 156-158 will be almost just as stable as a 161 with a little added maneuverability, perfect for you to start stepping up your riding.

Definitely go to a core shop to find the boot that works best for you. Get it fitted to you down to like OJ's glove. Then go online and start hunting for deals on that *exact* model and size.

Buying all Burton is definitely the most seemless way to go. Again though, boot fit is incredibly vital, so if Burton boots just aren't for you don't be afraid to move on.

BurtonAvenger 09-06-2008 05:16 PM

^ Yep waste the shops time fitting you then buy online thats fucking great advice.

Buy your boots at your local shop and see what deals they have. If they don't have a deal that works for you on board and bindings hunt around online. I'm 165lbs as well and ride typically a 158 for my goof around board.

sisuck 09-07-2008 10:30 AM

I agree with Avenger and Wolf, shops work really hard to get the customer outfitted. When you say you're just going online it's like a slap in the face. Plus if you have a shop you can purchase from they're a great resource for you to be able to access for information, questions, product guidance (as most employees test out new equipment), and just a valuable overall resource for anything snowboarding.

Do yourself a favor and find a good shop around you that will take good care of you. Customer service is not always something you can find online. Especially the really good kind. And it will not be face to face.

Have we all resorted to being that impersonal!!?!!?!

BowserYo 09-10-2008 01:18 PM

Well, the stores havent completely switched to winter yet so Ill let you guys know what I decide on. Thanks for the tips btw.

SheepDawg 09-10-2008 02:29 PM

Well?

Burton ,Rossingnol, or Mervin manufacturing. Those are 3 of my favorite.. Oh and Nitro has some nice ones this year also .

BowserYo 09-10-2008 03:05 PM

What do you guys think about this board? Yeah I like simple designs and from what I understand Ride is a good brand? I really like this board but what do you guys think?

Also, what does "Base colors may vary" Does that mean the black might turn out to be white???