It all depends in the season, Colorado had a late start last season. But through the month of December they got so much snow that it was crazy, I think somewhere around 100 inches for some resorts.
Lately i decided to not risk my money and only travel later on in the season just to be safe. But if you have to make a decision now, I would always keep my options option and be willing to drive a little extra for better conditions.
I would also make reservations for different hotels in different resorts, that way comes the day you can choose which one has the best conditions. Some of these hotels have very flexible cancellation policies.