Buying snowboard gear in Calgary - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Buying snowboard gear in Calgary

Hey guys, does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy a snowboard, boots, bindings and associated gear in Calgary? I'm looking for reasonable prices, good and knowledgeable staff, and preferably somewhere with a range of brands, models and sizes off the shelf.

A couple I've looked at so far are The Source and Sport Mart. The Source seems to be heavily geared towards Burton, and I seem to remember some negative comments about Sport Mart somewhere on these forums. Getting information from the The Source via email has turned out to be like pulling teeth, which is a bit weird for a company with an online store.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't help you cuz I'm not from Calgary, but the two places you mentioned are just generic Canadian chain sport stores largely staffed by, shall we say, less than experts? They have stores in every suburban shopping mall in the country. They may carry some of the major brands, but it's generally the entry-level stuff.

If some of the Alberta people on here can't give you some shop names, you'd be better off ordering off the net and getting it shipped overnight.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks. Hopefully some locals will come through for me as I'm only a novice and need some knowledgeable advice with fitting/setup etc., plus I wouldn't want to order boots online in particular.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
sHnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerBound View Post
Thanks. Hopefully some locals will come through for me as I'm only a novice and need some knowledgeable advice with fitting/setup etc., plus I wouldn't want to order boots online in particular.

Go into a Snowboard store, spend some time trying on different boots, get the right size and fit. Then order your boots of choice.

have you done much riding? I see your name is WhistlerBound.. you doing the season there?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Melicious

Hey. I live in BC now.. but and from Calgary were my husband worked/works in the industry with shops. I think the best one is Mission Snow and Skate. There is one in Kensington and one on 17th. They has TONS of brands.. great staff and should have some sales on last years models. I know some reps there having a sample sale on Oct. 1.. don;t know if there are boots...but board and bindings for sure.
Go to Mission.. end check some stuff out. If you are interested in the Sample sale... i can find out what brands will be there and can give you the info.
Chikkos is pretty good.. they don't have as much selection though. What brand(s) are you after?
Source has alot of stuff..but i personally am not a fan of this store.
Once you know what you want.. then you can work on the price..lol
Hope that helps
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for the feedback. This is spread over a few threads, so here's the story in one place:

I live in Tasmania and I'm travelling to Canada for a holiday in the two weeks before Christmas, including a week and a bit in Whistler (yeah, I know the snow can be iffy and I'm sweating on it being a good year).

I'm flying into Calgary and want to pick up a snowboard and gear while I'm there as it's heaps cheaper than buying it locally. I'm a novice looking to progress this season and I haven't settled on any specific gear yet. Boots will be what fits and feels the best (and will last a while). I'm leaning towards Rome 390 bindings based on the general feedback I've seen here. As far as the board goes, I have a Burton Custom on the list, along with a TRS BTX, but who knows what else is possible.

My time in any particular place that's likely to have reasonable deals is limited to a couple of days in Calgary and one in Vancouver, so it would be an advantage if they have a fair range in stock as I can't really hang around and wait for something to be shipped.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i was in couver for a time before i headed to whistler.

i needed to buy some kit but thought to buy it in couver rather than london, to get good prices (thanx to cheaper markets, exchange rates....) how wrong was i!!!!?

couver prices are jacked up horrible! for a city surrounded by mountains, i was shocked to find price tags of soft goods to be more than if i bought them in london! i dunno about the scene in cattle town, but i cannae believe they'd be worse than couver!

it is a good plan tho, to go to any well stocked shop; try boots glaore on; figure your brand, model and exact size and then order online thru the lowest bidder! tis what i've always done!