Scotch Brite.. When to stop? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scotch Brite.. When to stop?

Hello all. Quick tuning question. Most guides and videos I've seen about rubbing with Scotch Brite pad after scraping say something along the lines of rub like crazy, vigorously etc. Should I be rubbing until I see no more wax being picked up in the pad? It seems like I've been rubbing like crazy, and the base looks more dry, but still seeing white being picked up by the pad.
bcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoon View Post
Hello all. Quick tuning question. Most guides and videos I've seen about rubbing with Scotch Brite pad after scraping say something along the lines of rub like crazy, vigorously etc. Should I be rubbing until I see no more wax being picked up in the pad? It seems like I've been rubbing like crazy, and the base looks more dry, but still seeing white being picked up by the pad.
Scotch Brite it till you have a nice smooth surface throughout or you get bored (whichever is shorter). Then scrub the base lengthwise with a nylon brush to create channels in any remaining wax. Go ride... no need to overthink it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ha sounds like a plan. First time doing this myself so not sure what to look for or what looks like right/wrong.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

My thinking in using a scotchbrite pad is whatever work you've done will be gone in the first 10 seconds of riding. It does make the board look nice but you dont want to rub to much wax off. Just rub until the whole base looks even and clean.

Never Summer Legacy '10 162
Rome Targa '10
Burton ruler '09
Kalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok so I guess what I'm getting at is can you over do the scotch Brite to the point where you will get rid of the work you just did with the hot wax? Bc my base looks kinda dry now.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say no because the wax is been absorbed into the base
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I don't spend more than about a minute or two at most polishing with the Scotch Brite. Don't press hard and always run it lengthwise tip to tail down the board not across.

I am getting the best results in PMW wet heavy snow by scraping until there are no heavy wax deposits on the base, then using a brass brush lengthwise down the board 5-10 passed to put some aggressive structure on the base. I finish up by using the nylon then horse hair brush and finally a very light pass with the Scotch Brite. When done, my base is glossy and has thousands of tiny longitudinal surface scratches in the thin wax layer on the base. These scratches act as mico channels to allow water to flow under the base without creating surface tension that creates that sticky sucking feeling from wet snow.
Ok based on that I definitely over did it. Scraped until no wax would come off and then pressed hard with scotch Brite until nothing was coming off. Round 2!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoon View Post
Ok based on that I definitely over did it. Scraped until no wax would come off and then pressed hard with scotch Brite until nothing was coming off. Round 2!
You are on the right track with scraping. Scrape till its not picking up any more wax. Following that a quick couple passes with the brass brush, followed by nylon followed by a quick longitudinal polish with the scotchbrite. For me has worked wonders. Just pissed cause I ran out of graphite and had to throw some normal One Ball on it this last tune. Time to get to the store.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh and I noticed that in SoCals hardpack I can get about 3 riding days till I can feel its time for a new coat. Part of the reason I like graphite is the ugly black look...easy to tell when it starts getting thin, thus time to reapply.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I too had a tendency to over use the Scotch Brite pad when I first started waxing my own board. Then I started keep my scraper sharper and utilizing brushes, and now I have my best results using the Scotch Brite as just a finishing touch at the very end. And generally you want to do this very lightly and quickly.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote