Need some buying advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
dmb1410

Default Need some buying advice

Hello all...

I'm in the market for a new board, but I don't know much about the gear. Some advice would be much appreciated.

About me: I've been boarding for 8 years or so, very comfortable on the mountain. Not much of a park guy, I like back country, powder, etc. Most of my riding is done in Utah. I'm 6'2", 175 lbs, size 11 feet.

I've been riding on a K2 Spitfire Wide 160 for probably close to 5 years, and it's time for an upgrade. Any recommendations based on my riding style and numbers? I'm primarily looking for advice on boards, but if you have boot/binding suggestions as well, I'll take 'em.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
doublegx3

okay well for starters I have to ask what size are you wanting to look at. I am 5-7 and use a 154-158...so at 6'2" I would think you would need a much larger board then a 160. My personal experience is that a smaller board is often better for park riding and based on what you said you are looking for more of an all around board. With this in mind I would look at something between a 168 and 172. This should be better for what you are wanting to ride. I personally am a huge fan of Burton products, but if you have experience with K2 products you may want to use them again.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ Height doesn't mean anything a board is designed to flex based on the down force of the weight of the rider.

Anyways to the OP what boots and bindings are you on now?

I'd check out boards like the K2 podium, Flow Solitude WX, Flow infinite, NEver summer Legacy, NS heritage, NS premier, Atomic Radon just to name a few.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Amen, BA.

There is a lot of stuff out there that misleads riders into thinking their height plays a significant factor in board size. It makes perfect sense if you think about it that a bigger board with more surface area will float a heavy rider better than a small board.

double, I am also 6' 1' and 175lbs and I have plenty of fun on my 151 jibstick.

dmb, since you've been riding that board for almost five years I'm thinking you weren't looking for advice on board size as much as solid boards for backcountry and freeriding.

Like BA said, Never Summer has always made terrific freeride models. There is a company called Steepwater, I don't know if they are still around. They seem to specialize in freeride snowboards with only your luxury 'cadillac' sizes available. Wave Rave doesn't have pics but that's Mammoth's shop, I'm sure if you call in they will get you more info.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
doublegx3

I completely agree that the height of a rider does not really matter as to what size board he needs, but I was referring more to the fact that there was a reference to wanting to do more back country riding then park. With this in mind, my history with talking to other boarders is the larger the board the better for riding things such as powder. The size of the board allows for weight to be distributed over a larger area, which in turn allows for a smoother ride. I guess really what I should have said was based on weight he may want a slightly bigger board.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ Hey there buddy don't try to back peddle out of your previous statement.

As far as Steepwater I'd say just contact Smokin snowboards instead I believe Jay is still pressing them, also take a look at Smokin the Mike Basich is a interesting ride as well as the TK.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
dmb1410

That's great. Thanks very much for the advice, I'll look into it.