Freeride/Pow Stick? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Freeride/Pow Stick?

Hey all,

I just started riding this year, and I've got about 14 days in so far. I know a pro can shred on anything, but I'm looking for some help to match my stats and preferred riding style with the ideal board.

After the last 2 days of knee to waist deep pow my back leg will never be the same. I have a knot in my quad the size of a cantaloupe. I started on a 2012 Raygun 159 I bought for $220 from Evo. It's been a great board to learn on, but it seems a little short for me and too soft.

Stats

5'10"
195ish (200+ geared up)
US 9 - 9.5 (depends on the boot)

I live in Northern Coastal BC so PNW type of conditions. I have trip coming up to Utah next month and a nice bonus coming in just before then. Daddy wants a new board.

As for riding style, pretty much strictly freeride (zero interest in park). I've left the groomers and I'm just starting to experiment with steeps and trees. I like popping on rollers and wind lips and would like to work on carving when I'm not riding deep pow. I've been practicing a little switch and I can link turns switch on greens.

I would like something that is serviceable switch, but it isn't a must. My priorities are float, dampness, speed. However, I also want a board that I can maneuver in trees. So, what are some good options for a guy my size for waist deep PNW or Utah powder, natural jumps, and high speed groomers? It would also be nice to be able to butter or press a little on the groomers, but I guess I have the Raygun for that.

So far I'm thinking Never Summer Premier F1, Raptor, or GNU Billy Goat. I'm also thinking 162 - 164 cm for length.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think you want to go as stiff as the F1 or Raptor for your skill level. The Cobra seems right up your alley for float, while still being playful and great all mountain as needed.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

why go for a hybrid board at all (that's what I assume those never summer's are) - just go for a full powder board. You'll have your raygun for the no new snow days.

Burton fish, etc
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have rode a Raptor and Cobra on pow days, like 30+ cm and both were great, I just can't swallow the price tag. I then rode a Capita Charlie Slasher on a pow day and it is $$ and a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus with a name like Charlie Slasher who doesn't want to ride one. Also, I agree with this statement so much mine will be here on Monday. Here is hoping March dumps as much as it did last year.

Also.... lives in BC, takes trip to Utah.... wtf?

Last edited by atr3yu; 02-25-2013 at 12:10 AM.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post

Ouch... .

edit: sorry I can't wait for your reply -

You do know Utah averages more snowfall per season than BC resorts (fernie/revelstoke/whitewater) not to mention that it's light as smoke powder. The terrain may be a wash, some prefer the steep rocky wasatch some prefer the smooth bc.

Also, who would ever want to ski the same area over and over again? Are you telling me you never want to leave BC? You don't want to ride Jackson? The Sierras? Montana? Baker? Hood? AK? Europe? Japan?

Isn't a huge aspect of snowboarding to travel all over the world to ride?

Fun Powder boards for the OP:

Ride Berzerker - would be my number one choice - watch recent footage of jake blauvelt, this is his pro model -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-fNOKhGED8

Ride Highlife
Never Summer Heritage
Salomon Powder Snake
Lib tech La Nina
Lib Tech T.Rice
Gnu Billy Goat
Ride Slackcountry

I could go on but it seems the Berzerker is what you need.

Last edited by WasatchMan; 02-25-2013 at 12:29 AM.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Niqqa, grab dat Darwin next year. It looks cool as fuck. Or the hovercraft, fish, a prior?
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Fish or cheetah or barracuda?
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I don't think you want to go as stiff as the F1 or Raptor for your skill level. The Cobra seems right up your alley for float, while still being playful and great all mountain as needed.
Don't want another "all mountain" board. I want stiff, damp, fast with great float (way less rear leg burn). Everything else isn't important. I want something I can take for a hike, stay afloat all day without my leg falling off, yet still haul ass on the groomers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
why go for a hybrid board at all (that's what I assume those never summer's are) - just go for a full powder board. You'll have your raygun for the no new snow days.

Burton fish, etc
The Raygun is slow and soft and not very stable at speed. I'm really looking more to replace it.

Last edited by OldDog; 02-25-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was looking for a board similar you you and decided on the never summer raptor but also considered the yes pick your line and the jones flagship.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
I have rode a Raptor and Cobra on pow days, like 30+ cm and both were great, I just can't swallow the price tag. I then rode a Capita Charlie Slasher on a pow day and it is $$ and a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus with a name like Charlie Slasher who doesn't want to ride one. Also, I agree with this statement so much mine will be here on Monday. Here is hoping March dumps as much as it did last year.

Thanks, I've heard of the Charlie Slasher. I will check it out. Although price isn't really the issue. I'm looking for a board I can ride for a few years to come. With the 3 year warranty, I don't feel so bad dropping the $ for the Never Summer.