All mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default All mountain board

Hi guys,

I've been riding for about 20yrs now, 10 yrs skiing and 10 yrs snowboarding Everytime 6 days a season. Too bad I don't live near a sweet mountain!

This winter I crashed (with) my Nitro magnum board, so I need a new toy...

I'm 6"43', 176lb, 26y and 10.5-11 shoe size, ride switch regularly, do big airs with 180's (didn't nail that 360 just yet, grmbl!), boarder crosses, but mostly ride fast/aggressively on groomers and some powder.

These boards are the one I'm doubting about:
- Ride Machete ( / High Life)
- Billy Goat (love the graphics! But it is more freeride oriented)

Would the billy goat suit my needs? Not sure it's wide enough too for a 10,5-11 boot size.

Thanks for the help, my quest for a new board is driving my wifey insane

PS: A shop also advised the Bataleon Jam, but I didn't like (from what I've read) that you didn't have 100% pressure on the snow when going fast. You don't have to choose an edge, although I like to choose an edge
A Burton falls off too, since I have old burton bindings I'd like to reuse :-)
chaoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoske View Post
Hi guys,

I've been riding for about 20yrs now, 10 yrs skiing and 10 yrs snowboarding Everytime 6 days a season. Too bad I don't live near a sweet mountain!

This winter I crashed (with) my Nitro magnum board, so I need a new toy...

I'm 6"43', 176lb, 26y and 10.5-11 shoe size, ride switch regularly, do big airs with 180's (didn't nail that 360 just yet, grmbl!), boarder crosses, but mostly ride fast/aggressively on groomers and some powder.

These boards are the one I'm doubting about:
- Ride Machete ( / High Life)
- Billy Goat (love the graphics! But it is more freeride oriented)

Would the billy goat suit my needs? Not sure it's wide enough too for a 10,5-11 boot size.

Thanks for the help, my quest for a new board is driving my wifey insane

PS: A shop also advised the Bataleon Jam, but I didn't like (from what I've read) that you didn't have 100% pressure on the snow when going fast. You don't have to choose an edge, although I like to choose an edge
A Burton falls off too, since I have old burton bindings I'd like to reuse :-)

I would lean towards the Machete myself, also the Rome Mod rocker and other flat camber/raised tip style boards. Not sure about using them on boardercross, but they should suit every other need you listed.

Shouldn't really need a wide unless you are pushing size 12 boot and up.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you know if you're looking for a true twin or not? There are a lot of boards out there you might like, narrowing down shapes and whatnot will definitely help.
My short list
Twins: Flow Rush, K2 Happy Hour, Yes Greats.
Directional twins: K2 Turbo Dream, Flow Drifter, Signal OG Flat, Arbor Coda, Salomon Mans board.
Directional: Ride Berzerker, Yes PYL, K2 Ultra Dream.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default machete to superhero

I had the pleasure of owning ride machete 2010. It was lot of fun, love what the board had to offer, all mountain, fast, fun with tons of pop. What i liked about was that it was flat. only bad thing for me was that i went from camber to flat so I'm more used to greater edge hold on icy spots (live in the east coast) I would wipe out on icy spots with machete. So I looked for flat boards with greater edge hold and I found burton's superhero. It's flat same as machete, but it has the "frostbite edges" which helps a lot of icy patches. Also it has the "reduction" technology which let's ride on 4-5cm shorter boards. I'm very happy with superhero, it's a lot fun. If you are shopping for a new board, def check it out.
jbang72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thx for the advice guys, really appreciated! :-)

So... since none of you guys advises to go for the Billy Goat (damn those graphics! ), I'll let it slide from the list. It's also to small as the waist width is only 253mm and for boots size 10,5-11 it seems you'll need 255-260mm. Not sure the 2mm will make a difference though

The Rome Mod Rocker is nearly impossible to order anywhere online, but it did look like a great board indeed! I was going to take this one before the Machete actually.

@Nivek, thanks for the shortlist :-) The Nitro Magnum was a true twin I think, but since I have no experience with a directional board I don't know if it's really that hard to ride switch with it. (guess so though :-) )

@Jbang, in France there are also quite a lot of ice patches so I really take that into consideration. Only downfall is I don't like Burton push me to buy their bindings as well.

Anyone has experience with the Machete GT vs the Machete?

PS: also looked at the lib tech attack banana... fell in love with the board (or the brand and the hype... mostly graphics and the aggressive style ) but also very hard to find around here. (Belgium)
chaoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's very rare that I can contribute unless burton product is mentioned as that's all that I really know, but I did rent a ride machete for a weekend and I didn't like it very much.

I ride a mix of camber and flying v boards from burton and I found that the machete was sort of unstable at speed and oddly enough I also found the turn initiation was quite difficult. Might have been my unfamilairity with the board only riding it for two days or maybe the binding setup/stance I didn't work for me. I was riding groomers which were pretty firm except at the bottom where conditions were more springlike.

Might have been too soft for me, my softest board is a burton sherlock. As I always say borrow or demo before you buy if you possibly can.

Don't drop this option because of my thoughts alone but do a demo first. I've ridden other reverse cambered/flat boards and liked them for their ease of turning, didn't get that from the Machete, which as I read has a flat middle and a bit of camber in the ends.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree 100%. If you can test the board before buying, that will be the way to go. I've learned my lesson of buying based on reviews and suggestions, but there is nothing like knowing it for yourself. So if a friend has it or if you test ride it from a shop. it's worth it to spend the test riding fees or rental fees.

Also I know burton boards pushes to buy the burton bindings, but if you get the Re:flex models you can use them for any other boards as well. Just a thought!!

I don't like shopping in general, but shopping for snowboard gears is something that I get excited about. Hope you enjoy the process!
jbang72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well a full directional will be strange to ride backwards but most directional twins are no problem.

The Machete GT definitely needs a very strong rider. It's deeper sidecut section is basically where the camber is. And it's a stiff board. So if you dont feel like really driving it hard all the time its not a super lively board. It'll give it back when you push it, but for a lighter guy or someone not looking to really thrash on it all the time it felt kinda planky. If you're looking for that kind of board I think the Flow Rush is just more accessible. Easier to ride it and just as powerful when you drive it.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's funny you have the Flow Rush next to the K2 Happy Hour. I always figured the HH to be a park'ish board that can be used all mountain. Only from what I've read though, haven't ridden one yet (can't wait to see how that lifted stuff works out on the snow)
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote