help with Board selection - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help with Board selection

I havent boarded in 10yrs and don't know whats nice and what isnt.. so I'm 42yrs old now 210lbs with a size 10 boot and free riding/cruising only in the north east (NH/ME) so mostly man made type surface,,,,,, what would be a nice choice for a board for me or what where the nice boards for last year maybe the year before where I might find a decent used one, even binders and boots because I have no idea whats decent these days.

my last set-up 10yrs ago which I still have is a K2 157 Brian Savard, shimano step ins and shimano Yak boots,, the Yak boots seemed to have shrunk to a size 9 though! and not sure if I want to stay with the step in binders this time..

thanks for any advice, T
Tajue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Nobody makes step-in binders anymore, so, problem solved. Get some new bindings & boots that fit you better. Something middle of the road flex wise should be fine. Others may have different suggestions but you really can't go wrong with the Burton Cartel for all-mountain riding.

Again, can't go wrong with a nice medium flex or slightly stiffer than medium all-mountain board. You don't need a beastly pow board, and you don't want a soft noodley park board.

On the east coast you'll probably want a cambered board, or at the very least, some hybrid shape. But camber is what you're familiar with even if you've taken some time off. The hybrid shapes will have confusing names like C2BTX (Lib Tech/Gnu Snowboards), Cam-Rock (Rossignol, Jones, Signal), R+C (Never Summer), etc.

Here's a few I'd suggest looking at:

Arbor Element CX, Rome Agent, Signal Omni, Gnu Riders Choice, Never Summer SL

The good news is that a lot of the big brands from 10 years ago area still nice boards. The bad news is taht there are a lof of new brands that are also nice boards, so it may be confusing to wade through it all.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow thanks for the quick reply,,, and no more step-ins anymore so thats cool no more feeling around for the click n lock

you know you mentioned arbor, I always liked their stuff even with longboard skateboards I thought they had some cool stuff. I'll start poking around and see whats what with arbor's, what about the edge wrap is it still the full wrap is better or does it even matter anymore? and the bottoms of the new boards is it the same just keep hot waxed and keep the edges sharp or is there anything different you guys do now, oh and is it still the same bolt pattern so any brand binder will work with any board if I buy my stuff all in pieces?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

most brands still do a 360 edge wrap. I think the obvious scofflaw is Lib/Gnu which does not do a full wrap. I'm not sure it makes a big difference but you will probaly find some people vehemently on either side of that discussion

Keep the base waxed & tuned and you shuold be alright. Waxing and tuning and board maintenance should be pretty much the same.

Bolt patterns are either 4x4 or 4x2 inserts which you're famliar with. It think Burton still does 3d on some of their lower end and kids boards but otherwise they use a "channel" system that is only compatible with their bindings out of the box. It is compatible with most major bindings as long as you get the right adapter disc. On a related note, any Burton binding labeled "EST" will not work with 4x patterns, but Burton bindings labeled "Re:Flex" should be OK with any 4x insert.

You can buy all separate, no big deal really except for the binding caveat, above. Obviously, if you have access to a shop that specializes in snowboard equipment, they will be able to help get you set up with gear that is all compatible, if you have any concerns.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you I was wondering if anything was different and wouldnt be compatable with other stuff. how about binders are there any that are favorites or stuff to avoid? its hard to not go by looks with a baord (or it was) but the binders I think have to be the best I can afford so my riding doesn't get sloppy.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Boots most important. Then bindings & board. Probably want to get the board first, then as a rule of thumb you want to match the binding flex with the board flex, so if you get a soft board get soft bindings, stiff board get stiff bindings, etc.

Once you get past the very basic budget/entry-level bindings, most of the bindings offered from K2, Burton, Rome, Ride, Union, Nitro, Salomon etc will be good.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

burton custom in cambered version would be a good board, and they make a wide range of sizes so at 210 you'll find a board that will fit you. Add in some cartel bindings or missions and the boot that fits you best and you have a good all around setup.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote