Wax every season? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
nickcarchidi

Default Wax every season?

Do i have to sharpen my edges and wax the bottom of my board at the beginning of every season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should be waxing every time you hit the slopes.

Depending on the snow conditions, if the lift has a carpet, if you jib features etc. you are likely to scrape all of the wax off the base of your board in one day's riding.

As for your edges it's personal preference. You don't need to have precision sharp edges unless you are riding a lot of ice or you like to ride pipe... but if you thought your board was riding funny (slipping out easily, trouble initiating carves) than you can get your edges checked out.

As an example of what it's possible to get away with, I dulled the edges off of my UnInc a long time ago and now they aren't even really edges anymore. I can still hold a decent edge in most conditions and I even brave the pipe on occasion.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Waxing before every day you go is kinda overkill for us non-pros.

If you feel like you're getting slow, wax your board
If you feel like you're slipping out, sharpen your edges.

In general, you should wax your board at least every 4 or 5 times up.

I don't wax my jib board at all, wax makes it slippery and I like my jib boards to 'stick' to rails, makes s-railsj, c's, and big rainbows much easier.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
nickcarchidi

i got a new board last season and the guys at ski market said i was good to go and i rode about 6 times last season. i def think im due for a wax. first what kind of was do you reccomend. and second. i live on the east coast so i think sharpening my edges really good would be the best idea since all we get around here is ice. haha. i can ride everything except ice. i hate it. cuz my board never holds the edge as well as i want it to. and i was told i had to "detune" my board whatever that means. but i think i need to a sharpening.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Waxing before every day you go is kinda overkill for us non-pros.
I disagree.

Like I said before, there are tons of different things that strip the wax off the base of your board while you ride; skill level has nothing to do with it.

I have even been in situations where I didn't scrape any of the excess off my board after waxing simply because I was dealing with so many lift carpets that they scraped it all off for me on the way up.

I can say that you don't *have* to wax every day... the board isn't going to stop dead in its tracks from not being waxed for a few days. But if you keep the base nice and lubed, you are going to see a more steady performance from your board.

So it's like Nivek said, you can wait for your board to go slower and know you need to wax or you can just keep a layer of wax on her all of the time and not have to deal with that one day when you stick to everything.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

Default good advice from LouG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG View Post
I disagree.

Like I said before, there are tons of different things that strip the wax off the base of your board while you ride; skill level has nothing to do with it.

I have even been in situations where I didn't scrape any of the excess off my board after waxing simply because I was dealing with so many lift carpets that they scraped it all off for me on the way up.

I can say that you don't *have* to wax every day... the board isn't going to stop dead in its tracks from not being waxed for a few days. But if you keep the base nice and lubed, you are going to see a more steady performance from your board.

So it's like Nivek said, you can wait for your board to go slower and know you need to wax or you can just keep a layer of wax on her all of the time and not have to deal with that one day when you stick to everything.
I agree with taking the approach of not waiting for your base to become dry before you wax.

As the wolfman posits, don't wait for your base to show signs of dryness,especially along the egdes where the wax will become delpleted faster than the rest of the board.

Keep your based well lubed and you will be rewarded with a smooth consistent glide.. shred the gnar boys.

Also remember, we want to expose the structure of the base by scraping/brushing and polishing. Its not the waX on the base surface but wax you have impregnated INTO the molecular structure of the base that will provide a silky glide. GREAT ADVICE FROM NIVEK AND LOU-G
Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
AAA

By all means, if your board hasn't been tuned since you bought it, sharpen the edges and wax it. Edge sharpening is good for 6-10 days, depending on how much ice you ride on. I like to hot wax either every time or every other time out, again depending on how much ice I ride.

To start out, you can probably find a little edge sharpening tool (file on a guide) for $20. If you reduce your file pressure as you sharpen, you can get rid of almost any burrs that form, negating the need for a honing stone. Intermittent sharpening can be done with very light file use. (Assuming you want to start out cheap and build your tuning kit as you go, here.) "Detuning" refers to the process of not having the last 2 or 3 inches of your running edge as razor sharp as the rest of your edge. The idea is to allow the board to not be as hooky and release its edges easier at the end of a turn, when this is done. Don't think of it as detuning, though. Think of it as simply not sharpening those last inches to quite the razor quality that you want on the rest of the edge. Somehow in recent years, the term "detuning" has been misconceptualized and bastardized into dulling the edges so that they don't catch on rails. This isn't detuning, it's ruining. Unless you have an old, unused beater board to trash and dedicate solely to grinding rails off the mountain (ie; around town or the local park), do NOT "detune" your edges by intentionally dulling them. (Sorry for the rant. That's a pet peeve.)

On waxing, you'll want to hot wax. Don't bother with the rub on / spray on varieties. They're junk and only last for a run, maybe two. Use an old iron with no holes in the bottom to wax. Flea markets, antique shops, and ebay have them cheap. Ski shops have them, as well, at a heftier price. You'll need a hard plastic scraper, too, to remove the excess wax, and something to structure it. A green Scotchbrite scrubby pad will suffice for structuring, though more expensive brushes for the purpose do a better job. Pick a wax suited to your conditions. You don't need crazy expensive race waxes, but get something properly suited. It's tough to wrong with Swix. Reasonably priced and great for recreational use.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

this is the shizzle mate..good stuff. I especially like your comments about de-tuning (ruining) the entire edge by dulling it all.

I do like to remove burrs with a stone first and then file, its seems to make my files last longer...GOOD STUFF Your rant about de-tuning is spot on matey. cheers
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

agreed with sintered bases it's more important to wax more often. the thing about extruded though is that they're basically the same material as your sidewall, some differences, but generally the same. what this means is that you wont necessarily hurt your extruded base board if you dont wax it. Most jib and lower end park boards are extruded, its beefier and easier to fix. the nicer thing IMO about extrudeds is that you get better jib performance by not waxing them (again, something that doesnt really hurt ex)

I meant that since we're not pro's, we're not going to be needing peak performance for every run, we're possibly not good enough to even notice. If you can't stand slowing down, then by all means, wzx a lot.

Basically I just wanted the OP to know that if he doesn't want to wax his board before every trip it wont ruin his board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
faceless.13

I've got a similar question, I bought a new board for this season (also the first that's actually mine, ride society 07/08, no more shitty shop boards) and I was told that I should be good with the factory wax, however after reading a few things on this site, that wax is probably worthless. Should I wax my board before I take it to the slopes? and should I get the edges tuned? I know that it's made with a 1 degree bevel, but I'm planning on hitting rails this season so should I decrease the edge a bit, to say 1.5 or 2 degrees?

for the tl;dr people, what do I need to do to ensure my new board is ready and will be at full performance when I hit the slopes?