Very noobish question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
[Ian]

Default Very noobish question

When you buy a board its waxed and the edges are sharpened already right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
AAA

The edges will be sharp, but the factory wax will be crap. (Despite the label saying it's ready to go.) The base will need a proper hot wax.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

Yes its waxed but the edges need to be de-tuned. De-tuning involves dulling the very sharp edges of the contact points by using a file and or gummy stone. Only dull (detune) the edges at the contact points you want your edges sharp everywhere else ( I know park/jib riders who detune the entire length of both edges) but I would not recommend this if you plan to ice or freeride the whole mountain.

I would put a fresh hot wax job on your board as many maufacturers just roll on the factory wax job as it is not ironed on which opens the pores to fully impregnate the base.. No such thing as a dumb question my brother; its only dumb to not ask questions.

I suggest you chk out Snowolfs waxing and tuning video on this site. You should be alright for a few day with the factory wax. Its easy to learn to do it your self and you pocket some dosh for those chili fries between shred sessions.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
[Ian]

When is it a good time to wax a new board? the day i get it( which will be soon)or a few days before i first use it?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

As soon as you get it..whenever... Like I said you should be okay with the factory wax for the first day but have it hot waxed and don't forget to have the contact points detuned its easy peasy.

The board comes from the factory with razor sharp edges the full length of both edges.. chk the post by AAA for more about this. Like I said earlier learn how to do it yourself and save some of your hard earned cash.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
[Ian]

What are some good waxes out there or does it really matter? Also say i was jumpnig around in my living room on my board(which I know I'll do haha), does that do anything to the wax?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

no...jumping around in your living does no harm..infact strap in in see you can balance on your edges for shits and grins..just make sure you have couch nearby WHEN you fall strapped in.

Nothing fancy just and all around all temp wax DUDE !! look at snowolfs posts about waxing and tuning all your quesions will be answered and we don't have to go back and forth like this ..everything you need to know is there. I would be happy to answer any questions you have AFTER you have chked that out right o then.