Recommend a board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommend a board for me?

Ok, I don't have that much riding experience. I used to be a big skier, and I tried snowboarding a few times through the years. This past season however, I went full on snowboarding, and haven't looked back. My issue is I just bought a board from a friend without really considering anything, just something to learn on. It's been OK for that purpose. I consider myself a decent snowboarder now, and now I need something for my specific riding style.

I am about 6' 1' and I weigh about 165-170, I'm no park rat, but I would like to hit some jumps, and start doing ground tricks this upcoming season. I'm pretty much a groomer. I want to feel more in control when going fast. I was looking into the Ride Havoc, but I heard it sucks for butters and other ground tricks. Would the wonderful people on this board be able to direct me into the right direction for picking out a board that's good for butters, and control going down the mountain?

Thank you
Zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where are you riding?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. It's great to have internet again..I have done some research and pretty much have settled in on the Ride DH. What have you heard about this one? I hear it's a great all mountain freestyle board, it does great in the park, but handles POW great too..I ride at this place call Perfect North. It's pretty small, and lame, but good for what it is, and where it's at.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
utfreak

I'm happy you chose the DH. I had a LE DH last year and it was amazing on everything. I was riding bowls and learning 7's in the same day on this board. I'm gonna have to pull this out every once in a while after get my board for this year.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
DVS TJ

After riding a Never Summer SL for a year and a half, I tried my buddies DH and was so happy with it I went out and bought one for myself. I ended up getting the DH DFC 155 and I love it. It has completely replaced all the boards I used daily (use to travel with at least 2, different setups for different riding). I locked the DH with a set of Flux Rising Sun bindings and am in heaven with it. Destroys in the park, very steady on landings with big spins, kills rails with the flex it has. Tons of flex to butter and goof off down the hill but will go through powder very nicely. I am looking to pick up a 151 for street use and backyard use (yes we have a small snowmaking machine and a few rails and boxes i built), and a 159 for powder days when we venture out west or up to New York for the weekend. Get the DH, you won't be dissapointed. FWIW, I am 6'1" 220 LBS. and rock a 155 with no problem.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna get the DH. I have ride bindings and boots so it probably will be a good choice based on that as well. My next decision is going to be what size to get it. I'm no park rat, but I do enjoy a little jump here and there. I wanna learn butters this season too. I weight about 175 and I'm about 6ft tall. I was thinking the 159 but I'm not completely sure.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
DVS TJ

Just to give you an idea, I do spend a majority of time in the park, but I do cruise every now and then. I am 6'1" and 220 LBS. and I rock out a 155, and it holds up without a problem, even with my weight.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, I don't spend that much time in the park, but I would like to eventually. I mostly just fly down the mountain, so maybe 157 would be a good compromise..
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
DVS TJ

The 57 would be a good compromise, good way to "fly" down the hill but would be good for starting in the park.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welp, I ended up purchasing the 159 lol. After doing a lot of research using snowboard sizing resources it looks like with my weight for pure freeriding I should be looking at like 162 or so. So I went with the 159 for a 'park' compromise, hopefully it wont be too long to hold its own in the park. But considering I spend way less than half the day there(2 hours total), I think ill be ok.