Gap in edge? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gap in edge?

Hey guys, not snowboard-related, but since I've been a part of these forums for 3 years I've received lots of helpful advice. This probably belongs elsewhere but I figure there'd be more visibility here.

A friend recently bought a a pair of skis () from Backcountry and it came as scheduled. He unwrapped it and we inspected it, giving it the once-over. I noticed that as I followed the edge around one of them, I came to a point near the tip where there was about a 1/8 inch gap (maybe even a little less). Picture someone wrapping the edge around the ski and coming up just a bit short. It was present on the other but not as pronounced.

Since it's at the tip I don't think it matters much but the worst thing that can happen is if something like a rock or tree snags it and rips the sidewall out. We hopped online and spoke with a rep. He told us it's actually pretty normal and shouldn't be anything to worry about. He said if it really bothers my friend that much, they'd be happy to replace it and also mentioned that if anything, they do have a lifetime return policy backing it.

My friend figures that if they're confident enough that they're basically saying, "even if anything should happen, you can always just return it to us", it's probably nothing to worry about, but still, he'd rather not have to take advantage of a generous policy and head off a potentially unpleasant situation if possible.

So the questions:

1. Is this something to worry about?
2. If it does bother him but he doesn't want to go through the hassle of returning it, is there something we can do to close/seal the gap? Either through a shop or a DIY method.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's just where the ends of the edge come together. Nothing to worry about.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My board has that in the very center of the tail. The metal edgehas a small gap, but it is filled in with a clear substance (epoxy, resin, something ? ). I figure they can't get the metal to match exactly, and this is better than an overlap. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't really have an answer to question 2... Maybe try sealing it with epoxy or something of the sort. That's one for the experts on here.
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

What brand is it?

Some use a single piece around the tip, second piece around the tail and the two side pieces. Some use a one piece that comes together in the tip.
Depends on the equipment you bought, some brands just press.clamp them in while others make it seamless. They're typically pretty tight though. I wouldn't worry about it TBH.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...album/edge.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm on point, so take it with a grain of salt.

It's most likely sealed already, but you can fill it up with expoxy and file it down.
PDubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

My board has about 8" on the tip and tail with no metal edge!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think what you are describing is exactly what my wife's skis have. I bought them new for her 2 seasons ago and the first season she rode on it without any problem. This year I decided to slap some general epoxy in it just for piece of mind and still no issue whatsoever.

Like linville said, it's probably nothing to worry about. If you're worried about it though, I echo what others said and what I did which is just epoxy it up and call it good.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight, guys.

poutanen, what kind of board do you right? I'm thinking a Mervin?

PDubz, that picture is kind of right. I'd say the gap is a bit larger (about 1/8 inch) and they're properly lined up instead.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
Thanks for the insight, guys.

poutanen, what kind of board do you right? I'm thinking a Mervin?

PDubz, that picture is kind of right. I'd say the gap is a bit larger (about 1/8 inch) and they're properly lined up instead.
poutine rides a transyvanian voodoo board that is 2780 cm long, stiffer than a teenage hard on, is made of unobtanium with carbon fibre stringers and costs 87 zillion dollars and has a square front and back
Lamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
poutine rides a transyvanian voodoo board that is 2780 cm long, stiffer than a teenage hard on, is made of unobtanium with carbon fibre stringers and costs 87 zillion dollars and has a square front and back
What he said! But without full wrap metal edges?!?

I can get a pic of the tip/tail if anybody wants. After seeing/riding this board I wouldn't be worried about a small gap in a full wrap edge.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

interesting. is it powered by the blood of orphans, or tears?

and sure, i'd love to see a picture. i can also upload from my phone once i get home later.