Lib Tech C2 BTX vs C3 btx - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech C2 BTX vs C3 btx

First time poster here and came about this site hoping to get info and learn

I have been snowboarding for 3 years now and of course, have become completely obsessed. I am in NJ so I have to deal with icy east coast mountains in the Poconos and Catskills most of the time. However, I took my first trip out west to Park City this winter for 5 days. Absolutely amazing.

That being said, I own a K2 Brigade which is my first board and great to learn on with catch free rocker, but I've definitely progressed past it. Burton did a demo a few weeks ago and loved riding the Custom Flying V. I thought thats what I would buy, but after research have decided that the Lib Tech lineup is better and better suited for me.

Being fairly new to boarding, the technologies are daunting! I understand what rocker and camber means, but I don't understand the reason why each works different. So the question is, how does the C3 BTX (camber dominant with slight rocker) and C2 BTX (camber/rocker/camber) differ in terms of how they will feel, ride, perform, etc. While I'm at it, the EC2 as well!

I don't ride park, stay on trails and don't get into the trees, and 80% of my winter is spent on ice in the east (but plan on going west once a year), so I prefer an all mountain board that can kind of "do it all." I was eyeing up the Lib Tech Hot Knife (C3btx) with Ride Capo, Rome 390, or Burton Cartel bindings, but not sure if this is a good fit. Its a lot of money and I want to make sure I get the right board that will last me a long time.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing everyones opinion/thoughts.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 2012 Lib Tech TRS and it's freakin' awesome. Like you, I stay mostly on trails, don't really hit the park at all yet but still like hitting small natural jumps on trail here and there. I too am on the east coast and I have to say that I love this board. It handles anything I throw at it and I'm probably replacing my Rome 390 Boss bindings with either Union Atlas' or Force's. When it comes to C3 BTX vs. C2 BTX vs. EC2...all I know is that I have C2 BTX which is camber underneath the bindings and rocker in the middle which allows my board to be springy underneath the bindings for some added flex (camber) while still allowing for my stick to gain nice speed when I wanna bomb down (rocker). I highly suggest this board and hope you got something out of this post. I know that I did extensive research on this forum before buying my gear and with the help of others I knew I was ready to make the big purchase and everything has worked out amazing thus far.
LukeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

think this might help btw.

Snowboard Technology – Lib Tech
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
I don't ride park, stay on trails and don't get into the trees,
This statement...

Quote:
I prefer an all mountain board that can kind of "do it all."
...and this statement kind of contradict one another.

Sounds like you want something to handle the icey trails of the east coast. I was in a similar situation, I wanted something that would grip the ice be fun on natural kickers and terrain with a decent amount of pop. I decided to go with the Hot Knife (C3). I think your best bet is something with C2 or C3. C3 will be more unforgiving as it is an over camber profile.

Last edited by LuckyRVA; 02-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lucky... sorry I didn't explain further! Oops. I say do it all because I would like to attempt the park at one point so having a board that could do that would be good. That being said, it would be a rare occassion, but I'd like the possibility open. Next season I want to try to work on hitting natural features and maybe a couple very small jumps.

How much different does the C2 and C3 ride? They both have rocker between feet and camber under foot.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Lucky... sorry I didn't explain further! Oops. I say do it all because I would like to attempt the park at one point so having a board that could do that would be good. That being said, it would be a rare occassion, but I'd like the possibility open. Next season I want to try to work on hitting natural features and maybe a couple very small jumps.

How much different does the C2 and C3 ride? They both have rocker between feet and camber under foot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Snowboard Technology – Lib Tech

Check this out. It will explain everything. Also check this sticky out from this forum. Really helpful tool as well.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the information. I wish there was somewhere local that demoed Lib Techs!! I am taking a day off work to head to Camelback (PA) Friday because a shop nearby had a Skate Banana to demo. Just wish they had something with C2 and C3 to compare with! I love the idea of a camber dominant board (C3), but something tells me that the C2 is more functional in terms of being able to do more. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyone know of places in PA or NY that demo Lib Tech's? Would love to try to demo before the end of the season (sad that its already almost over).
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Pretty hard to find a Lib demo out here... Pretty much, C3 has the most grip, then C2, then EC2. EC2 has more float, then C2, then C3. I've had a C2 board and it has plenty of hold, so unless you want a board that will be better at gripping ice on blacks/double blacks, I think the C3 would be overkill. I ride my C2 board anywhere, no issues. Check out the GNU website as well, they are made by the same company as Lib and have same tech. The Riders Choice sounds like a good fit, and has a few more high end features compared to the Lib TRS.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, the more I read and the more videos I watch (thanks youtube), the more I am leaning to the C2 btx.

Here is another question that I've yet to get a good answer for... board size!!! I'm a wrestler, so I weigh a lot for my height (a lot of muscle mass) so I'm 5'4 but weigh 172 lbs. Sizing charts often go by weight, but because I'm on the shorter side the charts put me with boards that are to the top of my head! My current board was a beginner board (K2 brigade) that we just sized based on wanting it to come to my chin; its a 147 which was good to learn on, but definitely need something bigger. I was thinking I should get something between a 151 and 154? Or do you think because of my weight that I need to go bigger, regardless of height?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech C2 BTX vs C3 btx

A traditional camber board has a basic shape that looks like a frown. When you step on the board it flattens out and focuses the pressure points under your feet. Camber tends to be real stable at high speeds and has a solid predictable feel, but you'll find it fairly unforgiving and it'll do things like catch edges real easy. Rocker is the opposite of this, but adds a lot of flexibility (I don't mean *actual* flex) and playfulness among other things. Rocker seeks to put the pressure back between your feet ("where it should be") and makes turning much easier. This with Magnetraction is a great combo and the MTX helps get back some of that lost edge hold from the rocker. Hybrids are a mix and the best of both, obvz. Read those threads. It's hard to understand at first but it makes sense and explains it better than I care to right now.

Basically, C3 is a camber-dominant board... which means the camber is far more pronounced and is the dominant shape in the board's profile. The rocker is subtle and in between the feet. C2 is an aggressive hybrid design that'll do everything well. That Lib Tech page is really good for explaining their different profiles once you can wrap your head around it. It makes more sense once you ride a couple of their boards for a while too.
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, c2 btx, c3 btx, hot knife, lib tech