I Need a Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stratton'09

Default I Need a Board

I just started last year I went up to Stratton in Vermont about 5 times on a rental and I'm pretty decent and wanna continue with it. So I'm looking for a board I got like 850 to spend on a board and bindings, gonna keep renting boots until my foot stops growing. I'm 5' 11" 160 lbs got a 10 boot size will be going mostly in Vermont but might take a trip out to Beaver Creek sometime. I have pretty much no interest in parks or anything like that just the slopes.

As of right now I was gonna get the 09 Jussi 156 with the CO 2 EST or the Triad EST bindings I know there expensive but I'm planning on using this stuff forever so I'm willing to spend a lot on it. I just wanted to make sure I'm not making any stupid mistakes because I don't really know much about this. I'm going off what I've read about it but wanted to know what people who actually know about this stuff think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

First off hello and welcome..$850 is alot of money to spend on Board/bindings.My first year I spent a total of $350 for board and bindings (Burton Blunt and Custom Bindings).You could find last years models for like 60% off now, or even find something less expensive with this years models.Also you might wanna look into Begginer/Intermidiate boards since they tend to be more forgiving and better to control.As for keeping it for ever nothing last forever bindings crack as well as boards,all depending on how hard you are with your equiptment.Sure boards could last you a couple of years but they will loose there flex.I would really invest on boots thou..your feet have to be comfortable.Lastly you weight 160, I think 156 might be a little to big, and might be a little harder to control, I weight 190 and ride a 155. Well good luck in finding your gear.Hope this was somewhat helpful.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you have 800 bucks to spend, i would definitely consider taking a different approach. Firstly, i would get a better opinion on boards that would work well for you at thist point. I dont really know too much about board specifics so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on different boards can help you here. Even if the board that seems best for your riding at this point is not the top of the line 600 dollar stick you think you want, it will most likely serve you better than an advanced board and help you progress faster. You are not likely to be able to find a board that will last forever, and as you get better you will want to try out new boards and new technology that may come out in the future. This means that you should get a board that is right for you now, and worry about the future when you get there.

I do think that getting some good bindings is a wise choice tho, again someone can help you more than me here.

I would also suggest looking at a wide variety of brands, not just burton. Dont get me wrong burton has good products, but there is a ton of other stuff out there that is worth looking at, for example check out Never Summer, Rome, k2, Libtech, and Ride just to name a few.

Lastly, i would most definetly invest in boots. They are one of the most important aspects of riding, and ill fitting boots can ruin a day on the slopes. Even if this means you will have to buy a second pair for next year, the $$ are totally worth your comfort. Plus, if you dont spend 800 on a board you can make up the difference with some boots
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
crazydrummer

If you have the money to spend and are sure your going to stay in the sport just go ahead and get the board/bindings you want. I can't stand when people think that because your new to something you have to get cheap/lower quality equipment. I would say take some of that money and buy boots. Make sure you go to a shop and try alot of pair on before you buy.

As far as board goes i'd say look into a good all mountain board. These will be alot more foregiving than a stictly big mountain board. I'd reccomend something like a Never Summer sl-r(09) or last years SL, Never summer premier, Rome anthem, burton supermodel, just to name a few. As for binding i'd say burton cartels or union forces.

As far as lenght i'd look at a 154-156. I'm going into my 3rd season and just bought my first setup. A Never summer SL-R with union force binding. I don't have much expeience with different boards so all my info is just from doing research on the internet and talking to people so someone on here like Burton avenger can help you alot better.

EDIT: Didn't read it at first, but yea if your only going for a week a year i'd say try to get a cheaper board and put some cash towards another trip or something

Last edited by crazydrummer; 09-15-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're standard season is always going to be around a week of riding (no offense intended, not everyone lives at the resort) then you are really gunning for overkill with your budget.

Also, you should know that with snowboard products the price does not reflect longevity at all. More expensive products usually just have more/upgraded features.

Since you aren't into the park and such, I don't imagine you will ever snap a board or wear it out to where it will no longer ride, but the thing is that snowboard tech is constantly progressing.

A few seasons ago nobody was even thinking about reverse camber and now, slowly but surely every company is researching and manufacturing their own. Burton's EST is brand new idea as well that has been evolving gradually each season.

For all you know, Burton could completely abandon the EST line in pursuit of something "better" next year.

Your best bet would be to follow as laz suggested, and search around for some deals on last seasons stuff. This will have you up to date in terms of board/binding tech and put around half of your budget back in your pocket. Use it for an extra trip to the slopes or save it for the inevitable day when your board becomes an antique.

My Recommendations:

Board: Any all-mountain 154-lower 160s (if you aren't gonna be in much powder, stay in the 150s). Check out Never Summer.

Bindings: Something simple that you will be able to adjust. (use Burton Customs as a reference). If you want a binding that will live virtually for ever, than check out Ride, Bent Metal or anything with an aluminum baseplate.

Boots: If you are going to ride more often this season, I agree with everyone here that you should buy your own. Boot liners only have about a season of life in them (around 60 days riding) so even if your feet are still growing you would probably need a new pair each season anyway. That factor also plays with your rental boots, just exactly how many days have they been ridden? You won't know.

Last edited by LouG; 09-15-2008 at 07:38 PM.
LouG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
If you have the money to spend and are sure your going to stay in the sport just go ahead and get the board/bindings you want. I can't stand when people think that because your new to something you have to get cheap/lower quality equipment. I would say take some of that money and buy boots. Make sure you go to a shop and try alot of pair on before you buy

just to clear things up i wasnt trying to say he shouldnt buy an expensive board, i was only saying that he definitely should not buy a board only because it is expensive. It might not be right for him. He should find a board that is perfect for his needs, regardless of price.
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
crazydrummer

Yea i got that after i read it again. I didn't see that he said he's only going a week a year at first. Edited my post
Old 09-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stratton'09

Ok just to clear up some things...

-I am definitely interested in staying in the sport even if it is only like 10 days a season.
-I am never gonna be interested in all the technology stuff I just cant get into that and what all of it means, but I do wan't what is the best for now as I plan on using it for 6-7 years.
-If I am only going about 10-14 days a year would 800 dollars worth of boots and bindings honestly not last me 6-7 years because i just plan on riding not really ever bothering with the park or anything where i would really wreck it.
-I can't put the money towards another trip because its not really about having the money to go on a trip its about having the time and i only really have five weekends a year where i would be able to go snowboarding
-Burton would be my company of choice because the store in my town has it and I can get pretty nice discounts and they don't have much else, or they do have a ride but not much. That's board wise idk about binding.
-Thanks for the suggestions crazydrummer ill look into them

Any more advice would be great.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratton'09 View Post
Ok just to clear up some things...

-I am definitely interested in staying in the sport even if it is only like 10 days a season.
-I am never gonna be interested in all the technology stuff I just cant get into that and what all of it means, but I do wan't what is the best for now as I plan on using it for 6-7 years.
-If I am only going about 10-14 days a year would 800 dollars worth of boots and bindings honestly not last me 6-7 years because i just plan on riding not really ever bothering with the park or anything where i would really wreck it.
-I can't put the money towards another trip because its not really about having the money to go on a trip its about having the time and i only really have five weekends a year where i would be able to go snowboarding
-Burton would be my company of choice because the store in my town has it and I can get pretty nice discounts and they don't have much else, or they do have a ride but not much. That's board wise idk about binding.
-Thanks for the suggestions crazydrummer ill look into them

Any more advice would be great.
Wow,

It seems like you are barely 'interested' in snowboarding at all.

Not because of how often you ride, or whether you like park or whatever.

You are about to spend $800, but you don't even care on what. Burton is your shops company of choice, because Burton is everywhere. Burton should never be the only way and in some cases it is the WRONG way.

You can't make a board last forever as you said in your first post, but 6-7 years (although stretching it) is possible.

But honestly, if you don't even have enough time or the will to make some, to learn about this sport you have claimed to be interested in, then you should probably just keep on renting.

Last edited by LouG; 09-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.
LouG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stratton'09

Alright whatever